Jamie:

Interesting thoughts about the purpose and intent of human communication.
I agree that much of such behavior has to do with “advertising.”
However, it doesn’t seem to me that explains all.
Perhaps, human communication is about both the exchange of information (data, information, knowledge, wisdom, etc) and advertising.
The trick, for me, is to accurately discern which is being promoted.
Sometimes, I seem to do that in retrospect - but not always!

Thanks for sharing you thoughts and experiences.

Best regards,

Waldemar

Waldemar A Schmidt, PhD, MD
(Perseveret et Percipiunt)
503.631.8044

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. (A Einstein)