Hi Jamie,

  I need to be brief here, so let me just say that one of the very interesting features of the concept of justification is that you can put it on a continuum that stretches from Freudian rationalizations and defensive proclamations in the service of one’s interests or reducing cognitive dissonance all the way to the core problem of epistemology, which is how do we analytically justify beliefs as true.

If you want a good, but somewhat different angle on the problem of justification, see this interview with Daniel Schmachtenberger called The War on Sense-making. Notice that he will rarely, if ever use the word justification and he is not familiar with Justification Systems Theory and the Justification Hypothesis, but he does have a very good understanding of information and communication and the problem of deception, bias, and representation in accordance with one’s desires or interests (and thus not necessarily in accordance with others’ interests). Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqaotiGWjQ

In the language of the Unified Framework, he is pointing out how the dynamics of (mostly verbal) communication reside in a context of investment and influence and thus are dramatically impacted by those forces. As such, there is enormous bias and dis-information and deception. He also notes that even if we consider that we still have deep problem of epistemology, i.e., how do we actually have grounds to justify our beliefs given the incredible problems of getting good information.

My basic point here is that he is getting at some of the key aspects regarding the problem of justification.