Lene,

  Congrats on this David Brooks piece. First, that is quite a score and great to bring attention to Bildung. That will hopefully set the stage for more attention for your upcoming book. Second, I think he did a nice job capturing the key essence of Bildung and why it is important. Third, I think education of the whole person and the situation WE are in and what we should do about it is a great way to frame some of the moves we need to be making.

  Indeed, I am working with a business entrepreneur who has a wonderful “We, I, It can Thrive” vision for moving forward. We can thrive via Bildung!

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Lene Rachel Andersen - Nordic Bildung / Fremvirke
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SV: Interesting critique of life in US

Somebody wrote an interesting piece on the topic here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/opinion/scandinavia-education.html ;-)

/ Lene

On 14-02-2020 02:53, Alexander Elung wrote:

I could literally talk about this for ten hours.  If you really want to understand what value is, then start reading Mises. But, let me give you a brief explanation since you asked ;  Value is always subjective, meaning that there is no such thing as fixed value or objective value.  So what determines value is the opinion of whoever is evaluating it.  I can find my collection of baby-teeth invaluable, however to another person they can be worthless.
Air has no value if you have plenty of it, however if air is limited the value can become unlimited. However it you are hanging yourself, air wouldn’t be worth anything even if you didn’t have any.  So value is always subjective, however subjectivity isn’t relativativistic, it’s relative to intention.   But in general,  generating value means that you are doing something other people find valuable.

Best

Elung