Hi Gregg,

I like that diagram. It certainly is conducive to the spirit of the ToK that connections can be made between the ToK and both Freud and Jung.

You raise an interesting point about the Anima / Animus that I've thought about for awhile. Jung's conception of associating the two concepts with feminine/masculine, particularly in relation to transgender identity, raises some issues. Plus, Jung's thought here seems to arguably be a significant reflection of the gender/cultural biases of his time.

 He may have been better off making a connection with his "Thinking / Feeling" dichotomy that he elaborated on in Psychological Types

From data I've seen, there's no significant gendered distribution with his dichotomous traits except for the Thinking / Feeling traits --- that is, males tend to be "thinking types", and females tend to be "feeling types", but (of course) not always. (Whether the reason for this is biological, social conditioning, or some "mix" of both is a whole other issue, though I suspect it's a "mix").

So perhaps it would've made more sense (at least in the context of Jung's overall thought) to associate animus with thinking, and anima with feeling, thus "thinking types" would tend to be male (but not always) with a "feeling" anima, and "feeling types" would tend to be female (but not always) with a "thinking" animus.

In this sense, it might also be easier to conceive of the anima./ animus as being ego-syntonic insofar that the anima/animus needs to be reintegrated with the ego.

I'll end this with a question: isn't the Experiential Self essentially associated with the Influence Matrix?

~ Jason