From: College of Education <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 4:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Hall, Dara - halldm <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Advising Updates for Teacher Education

Dear Teacher Education Students,

This is being sent to all active teacher education students. Please read carefully as some of the topics will relate to you and some will not.

[Please note: this communication will answer questions for all active students, except current spring student teachers.  Current student teachers will receive a separate email.]

1. I am not fully accepted to teacher education yet.

If you are working through the application to teacher education - please review requirements at https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Application-Requirements.pdf.

*       For applicants who have an anticipated acceptance date of April 1st, and you are not fully accepted yet, your program will receive notification of your remaining requirements and you will receive an email from the ESC graduate assistant, Laetitia Sakponou, mid-April with your remaining requirements.  Please continue to work on your requirements for admission into teacher education.  You will be rolled into the next anticipated acceptance cohort of July 1st for tracking purposes; however, you can be fully accepted as soon as you have met all requirements.

*       For applicants who are working on admission and have an anticipated acceptance date of July 1st, keep working on your requirements as above.  You will receive an advising email from the ESC graduate assistant, Laetitia Sakponou, in mid-April.

*       For anyone who has applied between 1/16/20-now - you will be part of our April cohort and your anticipated acceptance in October 1st.  You should receive an email with information about your temporary account in Tk20 by April 25th.

Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any certificates, score reports, or questions.

If you still need to pass an entry assessment (VCLA or Praxis Core Math - see https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Entry-Assessments-for-Admissions.pdf), it is possible that your test center may be closed - Ashby Lab is closed to all ETS testing through May 15.  There are some test centers that have not closed, so you should check with ETS or Pearson test centers in your area.  Please be aware - you are required to pass these assessments for full acceptance into teacher education.  If you need to take certain education classes that require acceptance in teacher education, your program will work with you given this extenuating circumstance, and we are working on streamlining the appeal process this summer if you have met all other requirements but have been unable to take the assessment.  Please continue to prepare for the assessments - see free preparation materials on the PDF above - so that you will be successful when you are able to take the test.  You will not be able to register for those classes during pre-registration.  Make sure to contact your program advisor if you are in this situation so they can track your interest in taking education courses this fall.

Please feel free to contact Dara Hall at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have any admission related questions!  Contact your program advisor or program coordinator with any specific questions about your program.

2. I am fully accepted to teacher education and have registration or other advising questions.

If you are in a teacher education program, make sure to follow your professors' instructions for completing your remaining coursework online/remotely.  Read your dukes email regularly for updates or inquiries from your programs.  Contact your education advisor with any course or program related questions or questions about registration classes in the summer and/or fall semesters.  Please note - notification of updated registration dates will be sent by the Registrar.

3. I am graduating this May/August as an undergraduate and returning to JMU for graduate school.

If you are in a teacher education program, make sure to follow your professors' instructions for completing your remaining coursework online/remotely.  Read your dukes email regularly for updates or inquiries from your programs.  Contact your education advisor with any course or program related questions.

Your program will be in touch about registration for graduate classes in the summer and/or fall semesters.

If you still need to pass an assessment for graduate school (VCLA, Praxis Subject Assessment, and/or RVE - see https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Assessments_for_VA_Licensure.pdf), it is possible that your test center may be closed - Ashby Lab is closed to all ETS testing through May 15.  There are some test centers that have not closed, so you should check with ETS or Pearson test centers in your area.  Please be aware -- you will need these assessments for unconditional acceptance to graduate school.  We have not yet determined if there will be any extensions to required dates - if changes are made, we will let you know!  Meanwhile, please prepare for these assessments so that you will be successful when you are able to take them.

If you are supposed to be student teaching in the fall 2020:

*       The May 15th deadline to meet all requirements for fall 2020  (admission to teacher education, TB and dyslexia certificates, and assessments required by your program) is being adjusted to June 15th in order to push the TB requirement out based on the current health crisis.  You will receive an email from Benita James ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) on April 15th reminding you about the TB requirement; however, please know that at this time we are not expecting you to run to a doctor's office for a health screening (normally we recommend beginning mid-March).  If there are any further deadline changes, you will be notified.

*       Please review your email regularly as Benita James may be in touch with required application forms for out of area placements.  Please attend to these requests promptly.

If you are supposed to be student teaching in the spring 2021 - there are no changes at this time.

Please refer to President Alger's email sent yesterday (3/18/2020) regarding spring commencement ceremonies being postponed.  JMU will be back in touch when further information is available.

4. I am graduating this May/August as a graduate or undergraduate from a teacher education program, have already completed student teaching, and need to apply for licensure.

If you are in a teacher education program and you completed your student teaching in the fall or by the end of block 3 this spring, make sure to follow your professors' instructions for completing your remaining coursework online/remotely.  Since practicum courses are cancelled, professors will be using innovative strategies to enable you to meet required competencies.  Read your dukes email regularly for updates or inquiries from your programs.  Contact your education advisor with any course or program related questions.

Please follow the instructions for Applying for Initial Virginia Teaching License at https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Applying-Initial-Licensure-1.pdf as reviewed during the student teaching conference.  You can mail in your licensure application at the address on the bottom of the PDF.  Be sure to follow the instructions for ordering your transcript as indicated on the PDF.

If you still need to pass a licensure assessment (VCLA, Praxis Subject Assessment, and/or RVE - see https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Assessments_for_VA_Licensure.pdf), it is possible that your test center may be closed - Ashby Lab is closed to all ETS testing through May 15.  There are some test centers that have not closed, so you should check with ETS or Pearson test centers in your area.  Please be aware -- you will need these assessments for program completion and licensure.  You will be allowed to receive your degree without these tests, in light of our need to be flexible during the COVID-19 pandemic; however, based on current state regulations we cannot consider you a program completer for verification forms or submit your licensure packets until we receive your tests.  If anything changes regarding this, we will let you know!

Contact Dara Hall at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any licensure related questions.

Please refer to President Alger's email sent yesterday (3/18/2020) regarding spring commencement ceremonies being postponed.  JMU will be back in touch when further information is available.

5. My questions were not answered by this email (and I am not a current student teacher).

Please contact Dara Hall at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or your education advisor via email for assistance with your questions.

If you have any other concerns related to COVID-19, please continue to feel free to reach out to Dara Hall [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Dean L'Esperance [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Wishing you all good health!

Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D.

Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success

Education Support Center, Memorial Hall 7230/40

JMU College of Education

540-568-2996