Thanks Gregg,
I suggest having a look at Frances' *Saving normal*. It's a rather didactic
book, but some passages are worth. The problem, from my perspective, is
that Frances critiques the system from the inside, accepting the medical
frame applied to mental problems. The point for him is, in a nutshell,
overdiagnosis or misdiagnosis.

I think we need a radical redefinition of mental problems, with the help of
news frames able to account for the role of subjectivity and contextual
ecology. About the latter issue, a very interesting, albeit not so recent,
reference is M. H. Erdelyi (1988), "Psychoanalysis. Freud's cognitive
psychology",  Freeman and Company, NY. The long paragraph titled *The
scientific status of unconscious: Proofs, problems, and paradigms of the
unconscious *makes a good point on the role of the context in clinical
psychological formulations.

Best regards,

Nicolò