Dear Colleagues:

I happened upon this interview with Tom Nichols, who wrote a book The Death of Expertise, that I wish I'd written. In the interview below, Nichols offers some insightful observations that would cohere with much of what we have been saying in our online discussions and with Gregg's general framing of the meta-problems we are facing, although Nichols doesn't address that issue in the broader terms that Gregg uses (e.g., Blue church and Red church). That said, I especially liked the discussion that starts at around 9:55 (just after some great comments about the power of social media) with a question about "tribal epistemology". If you have 3 minutes, have a listen perhaps to that segment of the interview:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DV50HMNB4qX4&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=LBY7iUUv9zykhmh20MC0QX0Vn01HJniVv_jVC2a-i1A&s=cPXsLQr7gRr-t7KVxCR6GLkBSJLDKH5ddx9wrqyWam0&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DV50HMNB4qX4&d=DwMF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=ay5G5nQZIMGvcfTyCPZug_h1CgeSJwCrWb5sxMjqJqY&s=XCssvUWofICYrJ6DpO2AbGvJqpDJ7BuneXY3jFQQ_TU&e=>

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

Professor, Department of Sociology

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue, DL-201

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Email: [log in to unmask]