Dear all,

As a young man, the JRE feels like the thing more than anything else that I
share in common with guys of my generation. There's something for everyone
to connect around, both intellectual and non-intellectual types. I feel
like if and when we are older, Rogan's show will be looked back on as one
of the defining features of our era.

Then there's the fact, not really mentioned in the article, about how
instrumental his show was in the rise of Jordan Peterson, who became a one
man lightning rod for the culture wars. Meanwhile, Rogan was there in the
background, doing his thing.

There's a couple of lenses through which to look at what makes him so
popular. One is about the nature of the "priesthood" in society. Following
the work of Alexander Bard, we know the priesthood are responsible for
creating and managing symbolic power, the stories that tell people who they
are, the nature of things, and how to be in the world. At the beginning of
Capitalism, the function of priesthood ceased to be located in the Church
and Monastery and instead moved to academia (and journalism as downstream
from it). The new capitalist priesthood were concerned with the dominant
metaphysical ideas of the time, namely rationality and objectivity. The
problem? As we know, rationality and objectivity offer no answers to the
fundamental existential questions of life. The academic priesthood is
incredibly powerful in wielding its machine, namely science, but also
pathetically dry at taking care of the human needs of people. There is
barely any space for the all-too-human in the halls of the capitalist
priesthood. In fact, the place the human surfaces is in tabloid magazines,
reality TV etc. And culture is starved.

Rogan is of a different sort. He is connected to the profound thinkers and
ideas and gets the stories out, but is also a deeply human person, and
isn't afraid to laugh, make jokes, get wasted, talk about sex and partying,
hunting and fighting. All in a way that is deeply friendly and respectful
to his guests at the same time. And in doing that he achieves everything
that the capitalist priesthood are supposed to do with their bourgeois
"good manners" and elite degrees, but avoiding the snootiness of it all.
His connection to the martial arts world also gives him a deep
respectability and trustworthiness. You know he could kick your ass and as
such he's not trying to compensate for anything. And in a supposedly
post-religious world, a martial arts school is one of the few places one
can experience what religion is supposed to be. Deep belonging to a
trusting and legitimate community. One can rely on people who choke each
other out for fun.

The other lens relates to the Blue Church phenomenon and mass
infantilisation of broadcast society. The method for managing human
complexity involves making a few people the "adults" in charge of thinking
and deciding, while the rest are dripfed their information and their lives
via the TV tube and the newspaper. And the "adults" meticulously curate
their elite world and who can enter it - again with fancy degrees and
etiquettes of behavior.

Rogan puts two fingers up at this. Of course he is also an informational,
priestly elite - there will always be an elite so long as human capacities
are unevenly distributed. Nonetheless, he is elite in a way that is far
more accessible to non intellectuals, and thus blurs the lines between
middle and working classes. Meanwhile, his stoned explorations into the
nature of reality and his simple dudeliness bring back the element of
existential questions and the all-too-human that are scoffed at by the
capitalist priesthood.

This disruption is deeply dangerous - the blue church strategy for managing
complexity held a lot of shit together. Broadcast era mass infantilisation
worked for some purposes. The digital world, of which Rogan is at the
spearhead, is a wild west and perfect for the genesis of bloodthirsty, AI
backed cults.

Such is where we are...

Hungoverly,
Owen