On this topic, I found the JMU college president's statement to students titled "Building a better tomorrow together " (with similar versions sent to faculty and staff) to be an appropriate university response to the current upheaval in the US. https://www.jmu.edu/news/2020/05/31-buiding-a-better-tomorrow.shtml

He makes the statement that "...as an educational institution, it is our responsibility to call out these issues, critically examine the underlying causes, and identify ways to use our knowledge and skills to make positive change." Additionally, JMU leaders are planning a series of virtual town hall and other events as "an opportunity for our community to learn from experts and discuss the role each of us has to play in creating a more inclusive society."

He assumed universities are responsible for connecting to and improving current issues and also reaffirmed the importance of "experts", which has been in question. I also thought he did a good job of avoiding the "culture wars" while claiming inclusion and diversity as a normal part of education.

Was I too easily impressed? (I have a black husband and son, so was grateful for the hopeful tone.)

From: tree of knowledge system discussion [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ppt on the Mission of Universities

Hi TOK List,
  The attached is an interesting view of what the university mission could be, one that focuses more on directing the energy of the academy toward solving problems, especially political problems. I think this has potential if done right. The key is in understanding what are universal-relational-moral values that can energize folks. The danger that I see in this proposal is that without a broad ethical-moral grounding and view of the human condition, the academy would become further polarized and entrapped in the left versus right quagmire. Jonathan Haidt’s lecture highlights the dangers here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gatn5ameRr8>.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:
www.gregghenriques.com<http://www.gregghenriques.com>