Thanks, Brent. I am sure you have better things to spend your time than the “effort” you suggest here 😊.

One comment I will make, though, as it has been thrown around a lot recently and I want to alert folks to it, which is that of “white moderate” characterization. Not sure if this was your frame or not, but for those who are not aware, the characterization of white moderate is often used in reference to a quote Dr. King, from his powerful 1963 Letter from the Birmingham Jail<https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html>, as here:

“I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

No one should be confused by this. The “white moderate” of King’s day is likely significantly more racist than the vast majority of “alt-right” folks today. Thus, it simply is an apples to oranges comparison. One big reason is that the definition of racism has changed (see here<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201809/racism-two-very-different-meanings-the-word>), such that a white moderate in King’s day was someone who was moderately racist in the explicit belief that the races were real and that whites were superior. This is, of course, is quite different from the question of how anti-racist one must be to pass the litmus test of being a person of good will, which seems to be the way many use the frame today.

The implication in using the characterization that King would look at someone like Haidt—or me for that matter—and think him to be “a greater stumbling block” than the “Klanner” is the kind of off-putting rhetoric that makes folks like me move away from the extreme left.

I am happy to set up a zoom if you like. These kinds of exchanges are often more constructive face to face.

Take care, friend.
Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:
www.gregghenriques.com<http://www.gregghenriques.com>