Dear TOK List,

  For folks who are interested in understanding the divergent “justification systems” that are operating about the state of policing in this country, I recommend the following articles:

Heather MacDonald is a conservative scholar who has long argued that the fundamental progressive narrative about brutal cops as an aggregate is misguided. This is a transcript of her testimony to congress yesterday: https://www.city-journal.org/repudiate-the-anti-police-narrative

Nicholas Kristof is a liberal NY Times columnist who has long advocated for social justice causes. This is his call for how to effectively think about “defunding the police”:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/opinion/defund-police-floyd-protests.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_200611&instance_id=19255&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=35223894&segment_id=30632&user_id=8e4f03af2447d5adeb5069c9fb9bdf47

  NEXT MONDAY at 5:30 pm EDT we will be having Professor Mike Mascolo offer his insightful framework for understanding conflict, and bridging divides to create common ground. A formal announcement will be coming soon.