Cole and All:

Have you come across the wonderful and famous quote from Wittgenstein on psychology at the end of his Philosophical Investigations?  Here it is.  It is as relevant today as it was when he wrote it:

“The confusion and barrenness of psychology is not to be explained by calling it a “young science”; its state is not comparable with that of physics, for instance, in its beginnings... For in psychology there are experimental methods and conceptual confusion... The existence of the experimental method makes us think we have the means of solving the problems which trouble us; though problem and method pass one another by” (Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, 1968, II xiv, 232e).

In my view, this quote is so deeply correct. I remember that once, in a department meeting, when the various members were talking about the problem of how to teach psychology when everyone in the department worked from a different theoretical perspective. One person in the department said something like, ‘“Yeah — but we are united by our methodology.”

I remember thinking that that was such a revealing statement, about both his beliefs and about the status of scientific psychology.  Please hear me out: In my view, many psychologists trend to take a kind of naive realist view of the world.  I like to call this “verbal realism”.  We have a word — emotion, cognition, road rage — and we assume that the word refers to some thing in the world.  And if this is true, then I can find out about the thing by looking at it very carefully.  And if this is true, then methods become very important. I need very good (objective) methods in order to look at things in the world very carefully.  So the methods determine what I know.

But in our field, this is deeply wrong.  That is because “emotion”, “cognition” and “road rage” are not bounded entities in the world that I can see just by looking.  They are a priori concepts that define the thing that I am looking for and thus looking at.  So, I start with the concept, get an “operational definition” of the concept — which is structured entirely by the concept itself — and then measure the thing in the world in terms of that conceptually structured operational definition.  I then get my data and say: Look what I’ve found out about “emotion”, “cognition” or “road rage”.

The problem here is that the concepts that we typically use to structure our fancy experimental and statistical analyses are not well thought out beforehand.  We assume that we don’t have to think them through because thinking them through is not an empirical process!  As empiricists, we think we get our concepts by looking, not thinking!   This is what Wittgenstein means when he says, “The existence of the experimental method makes us think we have the means of solving the problems which trouble us”.  But that’s wrong.  As I’ve said above, in our field, the concepts structure what we look for — and unless we reflect on the a priori meanings of those concepts — in a thorough and philosophical way — as Wittgenstein says, although we have "experimental methods”, those methods will are based on "conceptual confusion”.  As a result, "problem and method pass one another by”.

This is the problem, in my view, of defining psychology or an area of psychology in terms of methodology.  The worst moment in psychology was when “scientific psychology”  severed itself from philosophy.  That’s what gave rise to the idea that we could learn something about psychological processes if only we looked closely enough — that is, if we had the right methods.  But, as the saying goes, “garbage in, garbage out.”

If you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading.

My Best,

Mike

Michael F. Mascolo, Ph.D.
Academic Director, Compass Program
Professor, Department of Psychology
Merrimack College, North Andover, MA 01845
978.837.3503 (office)
978.979.8745 (cell)

Political Conversations Study: www.CreatingCommonGround.org
Coaching and Author Website: www.michaelmascolo.com

"Things move, persons act." -- Kenneth Burke
"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well." -- Donald Hebb