Hi TOK List,

  I have a couple of videos on consciousness and the human mind that you might find to be of interest. First, here is an 8 minute video that provides a very nice overview of the evolution of consciousness. It has been seen over 8 million times, so that is suggestive that it has educational value. I watched it with my family during our vacation and they thought it was easy to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6u0VBqNBQ8

Here was a similarly done video on the two hemispheres, and gives a nice picture of the findings from split brain patients:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

It too has been watched over 8 million times. This tells us these topics are of interest if they are done at the right level. Also, please note that the finding that the left hemisphere often functions as an “interpreter” is a key point of Justification Systems Theory.

Switching gears to a more academic treatment, below are three videos by Karl Friston, who is an outstanding neuroscientist who emphasizes viewing the brain/behavior processes via the free energy principle, which is basically the same idea as the first principle of Behavioral Investment Theory (i.e., the principle of energy economics) coupled to the fourth principle (the principle of neurocomputational control). Here are three videos of him explaining his vision for how the brain/mind/behavior system works:

Free Energy Principle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIu_dJGyIQI

Embodied Cognition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0JnjgCO3o