Good morning,

The email below is being sent to all active teacher education students this morning.

Best,

Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D.

Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success

Education Support Center, Memorial Hall 7230/40

JMU College of Education

540-568-2996

Dear Education Students,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the JMU campus!  We hope that amidst the pandemic, you have found opportunities to refresh this summer and prepare for an excellent academic year. This will be an unprecedented year as we navigate the pandemic, and we know we will work together to promote the health and well-being of our peers, our campus community, and the greater community as well.  As you know, LiveSafe daily health checks, mask wearing, social distancing, and limiting the size of social groupings is mandatory. Please refer to and carefully read and follow the information that you have received regarding these important protocols.  This information can be found in emails such as https://www.jmu.edu/news/2020/08/21-welcoming-back-students.shtml and https://www.jmu.edu/news/2020/07/31-student-expectations.shtml, on the JMU website at https://www.jmu.edu/stop-the-spread/index.shtml, and in the FAQs at https://www.jmu.edu/academic-affairs/covid/index.shtml#UGStu. If you have any questions about expectations, please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Dara Hall, Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success at [log in to unmask] or at 540-568-2996

As a pre-professional educator, it is your responsibility to engage in professional behaviors in every interaction – in and out of the classroom.  Whether you are at a local store, sharing information on social media, or heading off to a school-based field experience, we know that you will reflect the best decisions for our community.  We have had a number of school-based administrators and teachers contact us about being nervous about bringing our education students into their schools.  We have wholeheartedly reassured them that our students are well aware of the professional expectations to follow both JMU health and safety guidelines and school division protocols.  We are proud that we know our teacher candidates will model an unwavering commitment to take actions to help “Stop the Spread” and will display their professional behaviors and decision making in all things they do.

We are proud to be preparing the highest quality educators in the state!  Thank you for your commitment to the teaching profession!

Sincerely,

Dean L’Esperance and Dr. Dara Hall

Mark L’Esperance, PhD                Dara Hall, PhD

Professor and Dean                      Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success

College of Education                     Education Support Center, Memorial Hall 7230/40

James Madison University           JMU College of Education