Hi TOK List,
As those who have been on this list since the virus hit know, we spent a fair amount of time discussing how the virus was going to be followed by massive financial and mental health consequences. This CDC report shows are prediction/expectation has indeed been realized. See here:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6932a1-H.pdf

  Note that one striking feature of this report finds that 25% (!) of young adults reported serious suicidal ideation in the past month. That is unbelievably high. Consider, for example, this report<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201811/the-college-student-mental-health-crisis-update> that found 12% of college students seriously considered suicide in the past year and that was up from 6% ten years earlier.

UGH...definitely a lot of suffering out there.

Hug the ones you love,
Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:
https://www.toksociety.org/home<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.toksociety.org_home&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=57e2I6uWglJ4JwStWjClCslCp37381OxvNIxockoINI&s=aRdOGoP0Bdt7IhOV8uIntjmwOR6o8wiDviSHJrpgpaM&e=>