From: Teached Education Correspondence <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of College of Education
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 8:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Important Information for COE Students Regarding Field Experience

Dear Education Students,

Please read this important information carefully if you are currently in a field experience!

Despite JMU’s decision to move to an online modality of instruction for coursework during September, P-12 schools remain open and ALL field experience (practicum and student teaching) will continue as currently scheduled

Please understand that teacher education programs are state-approved pre-professional program, and field experience is part of the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia and the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel, which only allows modifications by the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

At this time, the requirements for field experience from the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) are as follows:

  1. “Candidates will complete all requirements for clock hours/number of weeks for student teaching/internships/practicums.
  2. All candidates must be placed in the area of endorsement sought with instructional personnel who are properly licensed and endorsed.
  3. All candidates completing field placements in schools that are open for face-to-face instruction (even modified schedules) should complete the majority of their hours in face-to-face environments.
  4. All candidates completing student teaching/internships/practicums must adhere to the school division’s attendance and hours of operation schedule, as well as the modality of instruction (face-to-face, hybrid, or virtual). Virtual hours completed at schools that are only open virtually will be accepted. If schools that begin teaching only virtually are later opened for face-to-face instruction, the candidates should complete the majority of their remaining hours of the field experience in the face-to-face environment.”

If we are contacted with changes by the VDOE, we may have to pivot accordingly.

Meanwhile, if housing affects a student’s ability to continue in their placement due to JMU’s decision, then please contact me ASAP at [log in to unmask].

Remember: We are the models for professionalism – be smart and do your part to Stop the Spread!

Stay well everyone!  Please contact me if you have any questions!

Best,

Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D.

Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success

Education Support Center, Memorial Hall 7230/40

JMU College of Education

540-568-2996