Gregg,

Your point about interspecies knowledge raised a question for me. While I think it is largely true that humans possess most of the same types of knowledge and information processing systems as animals, and to a much more complex and organized degree. However, is it not the case that other species posses types of knowledge, or ways of using their knowledge systems, that are nearly or totally alien to us as humans (if not alien in our capacity, perhaps applications we have yet to realize)?

I think of the arctic fox, which has a keenly developed connection with its directional orientation to its physical environment and can pounce into the snow seemingly at random and pull out a mouse with insane accuracy. I forgot the exact mechanisms allowing the fox to do that, but my point is that as humans have developed in mental capacity, we seem to have lost touch with a more primal, animal knowledge that is inherently connected to the environment and the laws of the physical world. We certainly still have some access to this sort of inter-subjective knowledge between the self and the metaphysical world (e.g., synchronistic experiences), but have mechanized it in a way that we are dependent on it but are not in touch with its roots (we know how to use a compass but may not have a clue what direction is north without it).

I'm sure there is research and investigation into this sort of thing but I'm not directly aware of it. I know its a bit off point from your article but it appears to draw on embodied cognition if I understand it correctly. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Nicholas G. Lattanzio, Psy.D.