Hi Greg, at al.,

I hope that I am again not too naive here, but I have a few issues and questions about Harris’ claims in this video.

He builds his argument saying that locked-in syndrome is an event of having consciousness without a body. That seems contrary to observable facts. The organs supporting the physical systems where consciousness takes place are within the body, as is the brain. A body that otherwise does not function is a horror beyond horrors, but it remains as a necessary body to that consciousness.

I also wonder if robot rights have a firm base in anything more than the whimsical? Reducing consciousness to data processing relies on a concept of consciousness based on an anthropomorphism of computers. I see it as dangerously misleading. I think we need to leave all metaphors for consciousness behind. One of the dangers is exactly what Harris is doing here and reversing the metaphor from equivocating consciousness with data processing to equivocating data processing with consciousness. Maybe we should never say that robots behave; what they do is function. It also relies on a mind-body dualism, as per above, rather than respecting the full-body experience of consciousness. As you say, consciousness requires witnessing, which requires our senses and only then can it have memories for reflection.

As far as knowing the certainty of consciousness, isn’t this what Descartes said?

I remember when first trying to understand the concepts of behaviorism I went to sleep those winter nights trying to suss out the schedule of behavior of my furnace as it went off and on, maintaining the temperature I had chosen. I failed. It does not behave.

I also cannot jive with Harris’ concept of consciousness that he has put forth elsewhere, that thoughts "just pop into our heads”.

Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey.
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.