I am ready to share a big reveal on consciousness:

Where we stand in science right now - 2020 - we are a threshold peering into the future where we can conceive of

-A comprehension of the full inputs into recognizable human consciousness (necessary and sufficient factors)
-Detection of evidence and characterization of forms and "levels" of consciousness in other animals
-Detection of evidence of consciousness in other life forms beyond our planet.
-New consciousness derived from our technology (intentional and accidental)

Note I said 'threshold' - we are peering into the future, and from the AI perspective, the neurobiology perspective,
indeed Wolfram's attempt to represent the entirety of the unfolding of the universe based on a simple law that
gives rise to other laws (see Lex Fridman's interview of Wolfram... 4.5 hrs of mind-blowing new reality)...

I am confident that all of the four of the above are likely ... in our lifetime, not necessarily in the order listed.

I expect that any evidence-derived model of consciousness in general that is accepted as a sufficient explanation will
(1) identify or predict accurately testable i.e., falsifiable emergent properties that must occur as a result of sufficient conditions
(2) not confuse "language" or "ability to communicate" with evidence of consciousness
(3) provide evidence that will alter radically how we view many species of animals
(4) show us that we are still in the infancy of the evolution of consciousness.

The hard problem of consciousness (Chalmers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness), the "why" question,
is answered by the "how" question, which, of course, is evolution.

We evolved awareness of others to sense our offspring, to find our mothers' breast to feed, to derive intent of prey and predator, and to find
and compete for mates.

My answer to Chalmers is that self-awareness is an accidental, but necessary consequence of logic.

My theory of self-awareness:
Perhaps we are aware of ourselves simply because we are members of the set of individuals of which evolution has primed us, (i.e., our ancestors) to be aware: others.

It must have seemed like a wild trip for the first animal who became truly self-aware.  I recall the moment I became aware that I was self-cognizant.  I was young, looking in a mirror.

"Is that really me?"  I asked.

The moment before that, I of course had some general awareness that I was separate from others, but barely.

But that's all about human consciousness (and likely consciousness in birds, social mammals, and who knows what other animals).

We are entering a stage of enmeshment of non-human influences on consciousness.

From a psychology perspective, people are already purchasing and using "mood enhancement" tech.  It started  with clickers and stress balls, and there are now headsets to wear to improve your mood.  LSD will "blow your mind".  Chill out, have a beer.  All conscious-altering.  All "non-human influences" on consciousness.

Meditation is a fascinating example of human-influenced consciousness, self-referential, that expands the mind from the constraints we perceive.

But so is teaching. And experience. And reading...

Non-human consciousness is nearly upon us. I'm an optimist on outcomes, but watch China.

They are reportedly light years ahead of us in quantum computing, which is key to having a strategic AI superiority which, once achieved by any nation,
cannot be caught up to because the AI will perform the evolution of  the next AI, and that one will evolve the next, and so on, and so on.

I'll be going into these in depth in upcoming episodes of our new podcast, #TNM3 (Talk Nerdy To Me).

If you agree or disagree, and would care to be a guest on a panel, ping me @ [log in to unmask]

stay aware,

james lyons-weiler