Hi James,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:13 PM James Lyons-Weiler <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> By "representation of" I mean "neurological encoding of", i.e., a physical
> representation of an abstract concept for a real-world thing.

Right, but when you say it like this, there is nothing that defines
redness?  You do not do “neurological encoding of” redness.  Redness is an
intrinsic quality you can represent information with.  For example, our
description of how glutamate behaves in a synapse, could be a description
of your intrinsic redness, and our description of how glycine behaves in a
synapse could be the description of your intrinsic greenness.  You could
represent ‘red’ things with either your redness(glutamate) or my redness
(glycine).  You must specify a specific intrinsic quality, if you are to
know what one means by redness, you cannot just make an abstract statement
like: “represented by neurotically encoding”