From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of easalien <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 3:35:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: TOK: Is a spider's web a part of its mind?

Hey Deepok,

Finally had a chance to watch your description of the ALCCO, and truth be told, the complexity of it was slightly mind-numbing. I fully agree, though, with your contention that the mind acts in contravention to entropy (could you expand on this further?). Several points:

1. With regards to a clear mathematical formulation of awareness, it may not be necessary. While math is fundamental to material universe, you declared that “mind is not material by definition.”  While you make a distinction between mind and awareness, they’re deeply related. Math also breaks down at certain points, such as singularities, broken symmetries, and Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorems.

2. The ontological distinction between material body and immaterial mind appears to be Memory. The memory itself is not the functionalist analog of physiological phenomena; it is the distinct unified experience of waking reality. This inability to reconcile material brain and immaterial memory manifests an event horizon, much like in black holes. Your thought experiment between toddlers appears to support this interpretation.

3. Words seem to be the crux of the issue. We can’t agree what they mean, so we’re stuck arguing in circles. Having worked with kids for years, I can tell you words are plastic and easily acquire new meaning depending on context. It’s best to stick with the facts.

4. In discussing the emergence of mind, individual memory appears to be a core component.  When an entity can distinguish itself from its surroundings via recognition, it appears to establish a sense of self. This would give Mind to a young child but not a zygote while differentiating between individuals. However, as an event horizon, it is observably unverifiable. The Emergence of Mind isn’t a single event, it’s many.

Eric