Thanks for the challenge Lee (and that's a wonderful link you have shared from Wikiversity). Remarkably, I sent out a post to my small cadre of Facebook friends late last night that bears on the questions you have posed. Our weekly Zoom meeting with Peter Limberg actually inspired the decision. I have never had the self-confidence or certainty of folks like Gregg, Deepak, and many others who have much to share from their different perspectives and with their special gifts. Rather, I've always felt much more aligned with some of what Peter described last night and, indeed, from what Rob Scott talked about the week or two previously. Learning the systems of knowledge, much like I learned my katas to obtain a black belt in Shotokan karate or learned my field to obtain a PhD, were always the prerequisites - I thought - for true wisdom. But what would that look like if one could not trust one's own voice, or, even worse, if one's only experiences and memories of sharing one's voice involved abuse and violence, or a threat to one's very existence? One learns to be quiet, or to protect oneself as best one can. On the other hand, there are those such as Peter and Rob who have been able to find and express their voices, share their gifts, and inspire us with their talents and genius. And I believe that everyone has a voice and special talents to be shared. And wisdom. But how many of us cannot see the deeper truths or share what we have to offer because we have been hurt deeply, or convinced for whatever reasons to pursue that which may be hurtful and destructive - to ourselves, to others, and to the planet? Deepak's reminder of the full quotation surely deserves our most serious consideration:

"Don't believe, don't believe and adopt it because you have been told; or it has been transmitted to you by tradition; or you have thought of it on your own. Don't believe what your Guru (teacher) has told you because you hold him in high esteem. Examine it, adequately analyze it, and when you discover a thought beneficial to all, good for the majority, in welfare of all living beings, believe in it, adopt it. Such thought will be path revealing, because that belief will be self-made and hence resolute."

As mentioned, I shared a post last night with my FB friends - and even then experienced such anxiety in standing naked before those whom I have long known and trusted. I do not usually even have the confidence to display my image publicly on Zoom or keep the light on in the bathroom, because I long ago learned I am "ugly" and should keep myself out of sight, kneeling down with my face covered in the presence of others like an Untouchable in the traditional Indian caste system. But even beyond feeling worthless, I could never "discover a thought beneficial to all (etc.)", for who am I? I am not Gregg. I am not Deepak. I am not Siddhartha. I'm just a guy who as a small child couldn't understand why we were polluting the water, destroying the natural habitats of many species, and allowing - and often contributing to - our fellow humans to suffer so tragically, with mass starvation and poverty in a world of plenty. And that was before I studied or really knew much about the Holocaust, genocides, and factory farming!

So, here's my response to Lee's challenge, which ironically I chose to convey less than a half day ago in that semi-public FB forum. I guess I'm only now finding my "voice", but better late than never!

Michalski's Facebook message (posted at 1AM on October 20, 2020):

If you are reading my message, then you are not among those who are perhaps hopelessly and hence pitifully trapped in a worldview that matches tribe against tribe, and, even worse, humanity against nature. If you are reading my post, then you know that I am sharing my message with you because I trust you and believe in you and, indeed, love you. Should I die tomorrow, that would be the final thought I should wish to share. But I'm still alive, so here's my thought for October 20, 2020.

If I could convince you to do one thing only in my remaining time on the planet, please consider watching the film I've linked below. I certainly cannot tell you what to do, or what to believe, or how to vote, or what changes might be required. But as frustrated as I have been with myself (personal responsibility starts at ground zero!) and with humanity after a half century of study, I have no choice but to believe that we still have the capacity to recognize true wisdom. I thought that maybe a couple of PhDs would help me understand better, while allowing me a university platform to share the key information acquired. Alas, but that's not exactly true. The thirst for knowledge, after all, can never be sated and the selfish, single-minded pursuit depletes the energy that could be committed elsewhere.

Not merely do we have remarkable intelligence as a species, but we can translate that knowledge into the pristine wisdom that transcends ego and selfishness to animate our souls. The source of that wisdom derives from those individuals and cultures - past and present - more enlightened than ourselves. And thenceforth only shall we be able to complete our journey to once again become a species in balance with nature. What choice can there possibly be, if we are to create a sustainable planet and future for our grandchildren? At the very least, you already know that every decision you make has an impact. Deep within your bones you understand, even if the words fail you (as so often they do me) in our harried lives. Yet we must decide and perhaps commit to alternatives heretofore unimagined or deemed impossible. I'm an "old dog," but blessed to be able to still learn "new tricks" - and change that which I should have changed long ago. Or, harking back to a 1970s classic, "There's still time to change the road you're on... And if you listen very hard, The tune will come to you at last, When all are one and one is all..."

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.netflix.com_watch_80216393-3FtrackId-3D253628477-26tctx-3D1-252C3-252C9a18193e-2D7942-2D4423-2Dbb34-2D0a35b1f04949-2D9608350-252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5F34860857X94XX1603164131772-252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5FROOT-252C-26fbclid-3DIwAR3HvKGSkKReer40dg-2DVrtP2ir8Vx-2D3b6Ap9FUNTsu9QNe3CGM82si5X-2DKc&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=hj5o_vUd7T4pqONIP35sFpjzgIow0zauZSlviHtWXV4&s=Zt4fwGmmOArhZLFlXfIfQ3ymlt7GEmRLSY_5PqeEX-U&e= >
A broadcaster recounts his life, and the evolutionary history of life on Earth, to grieve the loss of wild places and offer a vision for the future.
[https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__external.fybz2-2D2.fna.fbcdn.net_safe-5Fimage.php-3Fd-3DAQB0LO15Tks5780y-26w-3D540-26h-3D282-26url-3Dhttps-253A-252F-252Focc-2D0-2D294-2D3933.1.nflxso.net-252Fdnm-252Fapi-252Fv6-252FE8vDc-5FW8CLv7-2DyMQu8KMEC7Rrr8-252FAAAABfeHO0TVQ1kAmwBrRQwvSAtDwwRUbdp3p-5FkuawtyloAl7HeyJU4z-2DBPL58B3ihV-2DTWWmDiERGLwp3UmMn79yi5wdPLJX.jpg-253Fr-253Dc1c-26cfs-3D1-26upscale-3D1-26fallback-3Dnews-5Fd-5Fplaceholder-5Fpublisher-26-5Fnc-5Fcb-3D1-26-5Fnc-5Fhash-3DAQBvqtcuVUe9pkmb&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=hj5o_vUd7T4pqONIP35sFpjzgIow0zauZSlviHtWXV4&s=4Tuyc2fy2R121omMJHLJ_xd4YkJCqQATSvbWwqtnXQ8&e= ]
About this website
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_joseph.h.michalski-23&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=hj5o_vUd7T4pqONIP35sFpjzgIow0zauZSlviHtWXV4&s=YIOi4IGonKPPmt-bdm1cLUKMK4uD5JmvAlzhj7_Tguk&e= >
NETFLIX.COM
David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet | Netflix Official Site<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttps-253A-252F-252Fwww.netflix.com-252Fwatch-252F80216393-253FtrackId-253D253628477-2526tctx-253D1-25252C3-25252C9a18193e-2D7942-2D4423-2Dbb34-2D0a35b1f04949-2D9608350-25252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5F34860857X94XX1603164131772-25252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5FROOT-25252C-2526fbclid-253DIwAR1dIcHi7RsfnuH-5FACCz6z69QAKsLx4v-5FAJ-5Ff7pqtWDYUZZWKu72E3hgsxA-26h-3DAT10HHyt3VxDTlp8UrOl6A17tGvWGNue350hckPjDvNnKdwPa2cZMI0BHfAMiSFgGM4KVlxH6eDrO8lghPoC5KgJL7KTFZ7Ww0FqTqtWO4gcLLCSOy9YjUo6mMu01ikS5Lk0CLUbt112XX1B9r4EWg&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=hj5o_vUd7T4pqONIP35sFpjzgIow0zauZSlviHtWXV4&s=u4Rh0XCSNN2ALyTL5C9FmpCnGemwY-IFd1p9GdzpPiw&e= >
A broadcaster recounts his life, and the evolutionary history of life on Earth, to grieve the loss of wild places and offer a vision for the future.

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.netflix.com_watch_80216393-3FtrackId-3D253628477-26tctx-3D1-252C3-252C9a18193e-2D7942-2D4423-2Dbb34-2D0a35b1f04949-2D9608350-252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5F34860857X94XX1603164131772-252C4a7ca63c-2Dad0a-2D4439-2Db956-2Db92f06b527a7-5FROOT-252C-26fbclid-3DIwAR0VA-5FoxXBA86-5Fb-5F1iRHPkHDnm9dfXzKQQSadq9mtQYWWd2YRVXihmGR7Kc&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=hj5o_vUd7T4pqONIP35sFpjzgIow0zauZSlviHtWXV4&s=VhdS9rtXYkCIwPz7KWREXlh2eRcMtB2indiHLOOdC0w&e= >

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

Professor

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue, DL-201

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Email: [log in to unmask]