Gregg,

Physics (physicists) is universal & neither eastern nor western.
Consciousness as deduced in my work is valence, a quantum perturbation
from a system's state cascaded across complexity (higher & higher) to
the top. And brain is a mere processor of accumulated & cascaded
information. A smartphone is a device that can be used to do a number of
things, but only when a source of data is available. Consciousness is
the internal data source, while brain is processor. Any other processor,
smaller brain (as in birds & some animals), very large brains (as in
elephants & whales & dolphins) or even a highly developed nervous system
without a brain.

You have the book with you. The (attribute based) definition of
consciousness is also provided therein.

TY
DL