Colleagues,

Saw the entire Ken & Wilber interview.
Let me state the background of what I write below. I have studied texts of Keno, Mandukya, Tattirya Upanishads - the source of much that Wilber describes (incl. but not limited to Turiya). Secondly, I have put together a whole chapter on consciousness in Indian philosophy in my book which I have fondly titled "Awareness and Consciousness - Discovery, Distinction and Evolution. The New Upanishad."

The first imp. thing to remember is the context of these philosophies - most are complilation from various sources with unknown authors. Most of it probably written between 9th century BC and 1st Century AD because lot of these discussions are part of writings by Adi Shankaracharya around 1st AD. Lot of this thinking rises in the period of Buddhism's primacy and prevalence in India. Indeed, there were 3-4 centuries after Mahatma Buddh when materialism (in context of primacy of sensory inputs) and atheism (Both Buddhism and Jainism are atheistic) were at its peak in India and the predominant philosophy of India/Indians. Both Buddha's teachings and Jainism are atheistic religions.

Lack of any outside God (in Buddhism & Jainism) led to a major focus on the inside capabilities of humans and their exploitation. Once informed that there is no divinity outside of human body, the only other place to look for it is inside. Mahatma (means great soul) Buddh and Mahavir (the brave) Jain were contemporaries & both developed the art of meditation. Jain indeed developed innumerable experiments with human body through pain-pleasure, hunger-satiation paradigms to which Buddha did not subscribe, and gave the world the middle path.

The reasons for providing the aforementioned background are

A) it is important to understand that these were outcomes of exceptionally deep thinking cuddled in materialistic and atheistic backgrounds. And an outcome of implosion of ideas rather than explosion - vector of research - pointing inside one's body & brain rather than outside. This is the period of great inventions and discoveries. The time of Sushrata (the first known surgeon/physician to humankind) and many other like him.

B) it is the peak of development of experiential versus the myths. The concept of third party objectivity did not exist at all. So the comparison could/should be made only between the then two predominant schools of thought - mythical and the experiential (though subjective). It is important to note that this is the 'pre-faith' era (hence myths not faith ruled). In India this was the age of peaking of experiential sciences - creation of methods that could enable individuals to practice and experience heuristically, that which is propounded or projected to be achieved. There is no guarantee that the nothingness (say in meditation) of highest form of meditational experiences by one was same as that experienced by other. But that both experienced something that they usually do not (hence transcendental) and decided to title it 'nothingness' was much better than experiencing nothing and just chanting something foolish and false one was told (myths). The experiential, therefore was a major progress over irrational & false myths.

Now with this background, concepts of non-duality developed then were completely disengaged thought. Disengaged from the then existing reality. It was a few millenia in advance. Quite like teachings of Buddh. For all subscribing to rationalism, this one statement by Buddh encompasses truth, morality and most other things. At the cost of reiteration...

"Don't believe, don't believe only because you have been told, or it has been transmitted to you by tradition, or you have thought on your own and adopted it. Don't believe what your Guru (teacher) has told you because you hold him in high esteem. Examine it, adequately analyze it, and when you discover a thought beneficial to all, good for the majority, in welfare of all living beings, believe in it, adopt it. Such thought will be path revealing, because that belief will be self-made and hence resolute."

Non-duality is a great hypothesis, but it is not yet objective in its structure. It is at best a conjecture. As described in Upanishads, it is not just subjective but is experiential in nature. I think it is up to us to discuss, probe, experiment & prove it right or wrong with methodologies that are modern. I think neurocognitive sciences with physics in its core, will prove or disapprove non-duality subsequently, till then it is one of the greatest and brightest conjectures humankind ever made. It has to be noted that at best, non-duality is not the absolute truth but the representation of it. Quite like a sphere is a representation of a complex plane. The Complex plane does not exist, it is a mathematical abstraction for representing a sphere (mathematically) on a Descartes plane. It is very important to underline that the capability of an abstraction to solve certain physical problem does not make the abstraction real. It is just an information-manipulative, discovered reason for a physical truth for which a real reason is not found or is not easy to be found and in some rare cases a real reason might not exist (this happens in case of informational truths, which have no physical existence at all). A good example was Medeleev's table, which was (on basis of a deduced rule) propounded much before real elements were discovered.

The aforementioned is also a cause of endless confusions, when the quantum non-duality is confused with the Turiya and so on. Non-duality, non-locality, entanglement, superposition, causality & retrocausality, co-occurrence are very different in quantum mechanics & theory of fields that they way these terms get used in philosophy. And philosophers pick a physics idea operational under very specific conditions and apply it somewhere, where it is not applicable and makes little sense. It is important to note that phenomena existing in quantum states do not scale to millimetres. They remain restricted to the quantum world & are a truth of that world, which in some cases is beyond our observation and even causality as we experience it. Non-duality or non-locality in the QM and Upanishads is completely different and not applicable, when exchanged in position.

Gregg, to bring my thought (that we terminated for lack of time through our conversation yesterday) to expression, I see that a quiet push to experiential sciences is happening today through advanced IT, AI quatum computing etc. It will lead to resolution of non-duality, as a spin off.

The kernel of objective science lay in Abrahamic religions that created the society as the centre of experience. Taking the experiential centre out from inside a human to a point outside & common to all striping it of subjectivity to the extent possible. These are salient features that are absorbed by a toddler as he grows. I call it the social-subconcious - that we teach & children learn without either us being consciously aware of teaching & children of learning. It led to termination of experiential (which would go no to be considered Devilish, puritanical, pagan, prudish and worse case - witchcarft) in west. This led to a need of socially acceptable knowledge rather than personally experienced one. Subsequently, leading to rapid development of technology as objective knowledge could be easily & quickly disseminated through reproduced writing, the need of tutoring was reduced substantially. Indeed monotheism implied that the internal in all humans has to be concurred to one external (hence universal morality & one God). This brought in the need for uniformity - hence wars to convert the world to Christianity, then Islam. The subjective & experiential was considered chaotic. Which in some sense is true, because handling plurality needs a very advanced culture. I see Communism was actually the epitomy of Abrahamic thought when uniformity was taken one step further than the spiritual (religious) to the fields of sociology and even linguistically. All 15 Republics of USSR were made to speak Russian and social equality became a norm. But this required a major social differential to be settled - Resources (Economics). Communism went ahead and made it uniform too.

Capitalism in that sense is a less developed or less than optimal aspect of Abrahmic thought. Communism took externalization and uniformity to its true peak. The capitalist west in some sense was standing 100metres below Everest, the Germans (Engels & Marx) even devised the last lap gameplan, but the Russians snatched the plan and acted on it taking western monotheistic thought to its logical end - to communism the Everest of Abrahamic thought. Once the absolute truth is taken from inside of a human brain to a point outside, and everyone is asked to match his internal state to the agreed or anointed outside point, the next logical thing is to ensure that the milieu of existence is also brought to uniformity, which was the undercurrent of communism (It merits mention that I am in awe of certain amazing features of Soviet Communism - like patronage of sciences, social equality, etc. as I am personally a witness of it all. And I feel immensely pained to see that Russians in the process of aping the west, threw the baby with the bath!)

Capitalism (economics) ran contradictory to the professed social uniformity as it allowed exploration of subjectivity & the experiential as it made Corporations explore that which a consumer likes (likeability being internal & experiential in nature) and not that which is supplied. Consumerism & Abrahamic thought is dichotomous. Fact is communism really was a bid to execute equality and uniformity as desired by Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity & Islam).

The dawn of the objective (adjective) subjective (noun) is approaching fast. Thanks to Google, Facebook, AI and Information Technology, it is today possible to handle plurality much easier. Thus, there is a major push to enable objective (statistical) understanding of the experiential. This will lead to development of the Experiential & Stoichiometric Sciences. And will one fine day lead to proving or disproving of non-duality.

Will appreciate queries, if any.  I hope I am clear in my expression.

TY
Deepak Loomba