So agree with this Jamie

Kindest Tania

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jamie D
Sent: Sunday, 15 November 2020 3:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK PT Blog on Mental Disorders

Yup,

Few seem to sense how little we understand ourselves, and most seem offended by the suggestion. One amazing thing about learning neuroscience is in learning outside-in to our experiencial assumptions.

The pigeon-hole classifications of various mental illnesses suggests a legitimacy to patients that doesn't exist. And with the power of suggestion, the stigma does more harm than good.

Consider telling a person each day they are getting stronger and the effect isn't small. Fill their mind with the stigma of being a broken person and it's like one is drowning and grasping for legitimacy.

The guru Ramana Maharshi said it best:

"every name and label is the cause of trouble" (at least when it comes to identity, in creating a false self-prison)

Jamie

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 6:56 AM Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi UTOKers,

  I put this blog up today:

Most Mental Disorders are Not Mental Diseases

Hope everyone is doing well.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.

Professor

Department of Graduate Psychology

216 Johnston Hall

MSC 7401

James Madison University

Harrisonburg, VA 22807

(540) 568-7857 (phone)

(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Unified Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:

https://www.unifiedtheoryofknowledge.org/

-Jamie