Wonderful thoughts, James.

In Sam Harris’ book, Free Will, his argument that we have to make a choice to do something boils down to claiming that we will get bored by refusing to make a choice and then do something. In other words, he thinks people do not have the fortitude to refuse to do something. Apparently he is unaware of the dozens who have chosen to not eat and resisted until death. Just one of them is enough to prove his claim is unfounded.

I am also fascinated by the concerns you mention that are not given due consideration. Something else ignored is how so much of our behavior is through choices made on failed memories, misunderstood situations, misheard information, myopia, the stain of dreams, conflation, chance encounters, and so on. How any imagined model of determinism can account for that is beyond my comprehension. We make choices in a web of confusion and I doubt that there is some kind of cosmic order to our emerging fallibility. On top of that, when two unrelated causes from unshared paths come together, like drivers at an intersection, what model of determinism can account for what happens next? It could be how I meet my wife. We live in roiled stews of influences, some crafted by us, some created by others.

Free will doesn’t mean we make good choices and it does not mean we aren’t influenced often beyond our awareness, and it doesn’t mean that sometimes we don’t make free choices. But unlike the arguments against it free will, free will is not a closed system making a claim about every single choice. Only one free choice in the history of mankind proves free will. But we have made many many free choices.

Also, we revel in the mysteries of life. We often do not want to know the answers until we discern them on our own. We resist looking when there’s a spoiler alert. We resist peeking at our competition's cards. The one Christmas in which I found where my parents had hidden my presents I was terribly disappointed in knowing. I never again searched for my presents. We seek living lives of discovery, which requires a robust interaction of making choices. We also often embrace living with a bit of mystery about ourselves. We like surprises. Against, that, determinism is an odd, misguided, inhumane claim; it is an illusion based on bad math and misinterpreted science.

Lastly, there is simply no proof for determinism and never will be.

I loved your tale from college.

Thank you for your great ideas,

Please, All Stay Safe,
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.