Hi Folks,

  Nick Jankel sent me this Aeon article on "Cognition all the way down<https://aeon.co/essays/how-to-understand-cells-tissues-and-organisms-as-agents-with-agendas?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c3aa091573-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_10_16_01_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-c3aa091573-52195661>". It relates to stuff that John Torday and Bill Miller have long argued for (see here<https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/theory-knowledge/201901/quantum-mechanics-and-you?amp>). I am guessing it also connects to Deepak's "bottom up" frame regarding spontaneity.

From a UTOK vantage point, you want to think about Cell-Life, Animal-Mind, and Person-Culture as complex adaptive systems, mediated by different sets of information processing-communication networks.

Here is a basic model of a Complex Adaptive System:

[cid:image001.png@01D6BD81.8A6A4720]

For the cell, think of the "rule system" in terms of DNA-RNA-proteins and epigenetic feedback processes.

For the animal, think of the rules system in terms of neurocognition (into sentience then phenomenology) and overt mental behavior shaped by environmental contingencies.

For the person, it is all of that, plus self-conscious justification on the Culture-Person plane of existence.

Note, that the information processing mediums of genes, neurocognition, and language are different rule systems. Also worth noting here that this three tier model is very consistent with B. F. Skinner's three tier model of natural, operant and verbal selection.

The bottom line is that we need to (a) solve the key problems associated with the Enlightenment Gap and (b) integrate across models. If we get a TOK team doing that, then we can really tackle the knowledge problem.

If we can then channel that into Wisdom Energy, well, we might actually be able to create a needed generative function that Daniel Schmachtenberger so often talks about in starting a social force transition into Game B.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Unified Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:
https://www.unifiedtheoryofknowledge.org/