Deepak, and All,

Though I have difficulty with your use of the word “spontaneity” if I accept it as used in the argument presented in your essay, I agree with you.

Referencing your email rather than your article, I’m uncertain about reducing freedom to bottom-top or top-bottom. If we can allow that choosing is itself a fulfilled expression of freedom, then there is no downward slope to the event; it is top-top. Or maybe I am skipping the first step: bottom-top-top.

On the other side, bottom-top, although there is factual certainty about matter and energy, I have a hard time with quantum theory arguments about the human experience. To me it seems as though the history of mankind has been of events and environments that are only ever presented robustly. We interact with things that always have essence or create results of essence, we do not interact with matter or energy that’s undefined. So I’m fine with notions about experiences with sticks and stones, but not with particles.

I may be missing your point on this, or I may be biased about quantum mechanics applied to human behavior. But I generally agree with your linked essay.

I also fully agree with Gregg’s point: “ As such, the question becomes, does one’s theory account for (a) self-conscious persons operating on that plane of existence; and (b) is it consistent with the laws of physics.” My thought is that (a) though requires further explanation. Does a self-conscious person need to be self-conscious of a choice for it to be an expression of freedom, or can their history of self-conscious events prior to that choice be proof enough of freedom? And when we choose this or that, relying on our history that has led to that choosing, when might we have truly made that choice?

Best to all,
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.