Hi TOK Folks,

I just wanted to share that Mark Edwards and I hooked up yesterday and had a great conversation and I wanted to introduce him to the TOK Society. Mark is a long time contributor to meta-theory<http://www.integralworld.net/edwards27.html> and has long advocated for an "integrated pluralism" which, BTW, is exactly how we framed the sensibility of the TOK Society during the first 2018 conference. Mark deeply explored Wilber's Integral Theory and expanded on it and argued for developing methodologies for evaluating metatheories.

More recently, Mark has been exploring indigenous wisdom. As he notes here in this powerful interview with Layman Pascal and Bruce Alderman<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnm3LkUqDGU>, he strongly argues for us to pay deep attention to the way Aboriginal Australian societies cultivating a sustainable, rich relationship with nature that was intricately balanced and maintained for upwards of 50 to 60 THOUSAND YEARS! Think about that folks. That is basically the entirety of the Culture-Person plane of existence! Now if we consider traditional civilization (i.e., highly populated city states with laws and infrastructure) to be ~5000 years old and modern civilization to be ~500 years old and the global postmodern period to be about ~50 years old, we must note that the rate of change that has both much beauty and power but also much dangerous degradation and a trajectory that is potentially catastrophic. Think how much we might be able to learn from a society that extends back almost as far as human Culture itself!

In talking with Mark, I was reminded of the Indigenous Wisdom talk provided by Darcia Narvaez<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ol6tQcwZYRtBTDNMumQ1mDYlIqVp1zMZ/view?usp=sharing>, and I was reminded of a number of Joe's comments, and Lene Rachel Andersen's point that we need a metamodern mindset that cultivates the wisdom/values/sensibilities of: 1) oral/indigenous; 2) traditional; 3) modernist; 4) postmodernist into an integrative pluralistic frame that is oriented toward wisdom. Much good reflection to ponder.

Mark, welcome to the TOK Society, where we seek knowledge for the cultivation of wisdom!

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Unified Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:
https://www.unifiedtheoryofknowledge.org/