Many thanks for sharing this, Chance.

Take care, my dear friend.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Deepak Loomba
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 3:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The cuts of Winter

My dear Chance,

Very moving story. And I am sure we all love this friend, who lived the way he felt is right. And that is a great achievement. Most know that which is right, but it is always difficult, impractical & sometimes downright imprudent. But then there are these few geniuses who have this immense capability to know what is right and then just do it without any effort. Indeed, only those who can do that which is right effortlessly, end up doing it. Because that is there natural state of being. I am sharing this story with a couple of close friends.

Most think & dream by their minds, but live by others' .

Though translations are utterly poor at conveying the underlying emotion of poetry written in a different language, yet I share an old Hindi song which when translated goes...
But before I present the translation I want you to know that the Hindi word 'man' stands for both heart & mind and it is very pertinent in the context of this song. As Indian philosophy does not distinguish between mind & heart in some cases.

Oh my heart why can't you be calm & understanding that, he who you love & expect an emotion response is now beyond emotions.

Who my heart, has ever constrained the rising or the setting sun, or hid the colours from being seen or beauty tied, why are you then expecting a response from the one beyond emotions

Oh my heart, be grateful for the time that he was with you, the longing to be with your beloved through many lives is a dream, dispossess it. No two beloved have ever died simultaneously.

To hear the Hindi title click the title: Man re tu kahe na dheer dhare (oh my mind/heart why can't you be calm)
Written by the great poet Sahir Ludhianvi, sung by one of the greatest singer of Bollywood Mohammed Rafi.  Though in Hindi, but if you hear it, the music will sooth.
The song was sung by the Indian Nightingale (yet alive) Lata Mangeshkar also and it is worthwhile to hear it as well.

Truly yours
Deepak