CAUTION: This email originated from outside of JMU. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
I hope you're all doing well in this crazy year. I know many of you all are learning how to coach teams in a remote environment and we're busy learning how to run tournaments in a remote environment as well. We're just a few days from the opening of the tournament preference selection portion of the VA-DC FLL registration process. I have included a lot of notes below as well as the previous email about registration below that so please take a few minutes and read the notes. We look forward to seeing you all at regional tournaments in January/February!
Important things to remember:
- VA-DC FLL registration is open now (all except the tournament preference portion) and will remain open until midnight, December 10th. You MUST be registered by that time to compete in a VA-DC FLL regional tournament
- Starting at 10 am on December 1st you will be able to select your preferences for tournament date (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices). This must be completed by midnight on December 10th. We hope to post assignments by December 15th. This year you will select your date preferences only (not specific events). Due to flexibility for scheduling with some events, we’ll finalize the schedule for some of our tournaments after we see where the most interest is (hopefully get more teams their 1st choices)
- Teams will be assigned “locally” where possible though some teams may get moved to other regions depending on availability of space (since events are remote, there’s no travel required). A few events may be for teams from across Virginia/DC if there is not enough local interest to hold a local-only event.
- There will be at least 1 Sunday event (more if there’s enough interest) but the final date of that event(s) will depend on when the most interest is
- If you do not plan to participate in VA-DC FLL regional events please email Kaitlin Ilnitzki ([log in to unmask]) and include your team number. This saves us a lot of time tracking down missing teams in the next few weeks.
- Assignments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some may be single-division events, depending on the teams requesting those dates. If you have a strong date preference, the earlier you register, the better.
- Note to organizations or coaches with more than one team (we will do our best to accommodate):
- If you want all teams assigned to same event, please make sure that all 4 date choices are the same, in the same order and list the organization and/or coach as the same
- If you don’t want them assigned to the same event, please make sure that the date choices are different and/or in different orders
- While we do what we can to get teams into their 1st choice not all teams will get their 1st choice so please select other choices with that in mind.
- Please make sure that you register ALL members of the team and include their grades and birthdays. This ensures that your team is placed in the correct division and that we order enough participation ribbons for all members of your team. Remember that we have changed how divisions are assigned this year and it is now based on grade levels.
Remember that the VA-DC FLL Registration system will close at midnight on December 10th. After that point you will NOT be able to make any changes to your team information (team members, names, etc.). Please have all changes done by this time. We must lock the system to allow us to do the team assignments and the system will remain locked even after the assignments are completed.
I strongly recommend that you join us at 7 pm on December 8th for the final webinar (focusing on what to expect at tournaments this season) due to the new remote format we're all going to be learning. Information about registering for the webinar can be found on the website (www.va-dcfll.org). For those unable to join live, the webinar will be recorded and posted to the website as well.
Thanks and we look forward to seeing you all in January/February!
VA-DC FLL Regional Tournament Coordinator
Welcome to the 2020/2021 RePlay FIRST LEGO League Season!
We hope you are just as excited about the new RePlay season as we are! We're a few weeks away from the opening of the tournament preference portion of the VA-DC FLL registration at 10 am on December 1st!
A few critical updates and changes for this season:
1. All official events will be remote this season
3. For tournament preferences, this year teams will only be selecting their preferred dates (not locations). Teams will then be assigned “locally” if possible but due to the remote format, some teams may be assigned to events “outside” of their area. Tournament dates include: 1/23/21, 1/24/21, 1/30/21, 1/31/21, 2/6/21, 2/7/21 (note that there will be at least one Sunday event but not all Sundays may have tournaments)
Registration is open, VA-DC FIRST LEGO League teams are encouraged to start/complete the registration process now!
Below is specific information on how to complete the registration process.
1. Register FLL team with FIRST (team name, national FLL team number, coach contact info, etc.). FIRST LEGO League teams MUST be registered with FIRST for the 2020 RePlay season before registering with the VA-DC FLL Region. FIRST will issue the FLL team number.
To register your team, go to: https://my.firstinspires.org/AccountManager/Account/Register
2. Create Team Manager account and enter team information (team name, team number, coach contact info, team member names, dates of birth, grades, etc.). Grade determines the team’s VA-DC FLL division: https://teammanager.va-dcfll.org/
3. Pay the $100 VA-DC FLL Regional Registration Fee (due by 12/10/2020). Make sure to use your FLL National Registration number. Options for payment include:
a. Credit card online payment: An additional $3.00 credit card processing fee will be charged with this option. Go to: https://jmu.irisregistration.com/Form/VADCFLL20RMT
b. Pay by check: Send a check for $100 to the address below. Be sure to include your team number on the check so that it can be correctly credited. Multiple payments may be included in the same check, but each team numbers must be indicated. Mailing address for check payments:
James Madison University
800 S. Main, MSC 3516
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
c. Pay by purchase order: Purchase orders are acceptable from any VA or DC school system. Send your purchase order to the address below or email them to [log in to unmask]. Be sure to include your team number on the PO so that it can be correctly credited. Multiple payments may be included in the same PO, but each team numbers must be indicated. Mailing address for P.O. payments:
800 S. Main, MSC 0305
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
4. Regional Qualifying Tournament Date Preference Selection (pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice). This final step (selection of tournament dates) will not be available until 10 am on December 1st.
Assignments are based on a first-come, first-serve basis based on tournament date selection so starting registration now will not guarantee your preference but does give you ample time to collect team member information ahead of time.
You will be able to come back and make updates/changes as needed until the end of the registration period on December 10th. We will send out reminders when we get close to the opening of the regional tournament date selection portion.
VA-DC FIRST LEGO League Staff
800 South Main St. MSC 0305
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE your settings, please visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html and select "Join or leave the list".
VADCFLL administrative announcements are sent via VADCFLL-ANNOUNCEMENTS-L. Visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-announcements-l.html to subscribe.