Hey, FEAST folks.

Please spread far and wide that we are looking for a new full-time Instructor in Philosophy (emphasis on teaching) at SIUE.

SIUE is about 25 minutes from the vibrant city of St. Louis. The area has wonderful free museums and parks and zoo (not as magnificent as the Smithsonian, but with the same notion of the public good in mind). The cost of living is pretty low in both Edwardsville, the "Metro East" (the part of IL right across the river from STL), and STL and environs. There are multiple active philosophy departments in the STL Metro area and there are lots of ways to get involved. SIUE itself as a university follows the teacher-scholar model, and offers one of the most affordable 4-year degree programs in Illinois. No place is perfect. But this work environment is better than many and willing to work on itself, and that's not nothing.

Please consider applying to be our colleague (Saba Fatima, Sue Dieleman, and I are all tenured or TT faculty here, and the excellent Michelle Catalano and Meredith Verrochi are part of our full-time Instructor cohort).

------- Job Description---------

The Department of Philosophy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) seeks to hire a full-time Instructor beginning August, 2021.

Instructors teach 4 courses per semester with the possibility for summer teaching. Teaching responsibilities will be primarily Reasoning and Argumentation and Medical Ethics.

There are no research expectations for Instructors; however, high quality teaching and a commitment to professional development is required for career advancement. Candidates must have earned an MA; ABD or PhD is preferred.

The SIUE Department of Philosophy values diversity among its faculty, is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities (EO/AAE). SIUE Philosophy welcomes candidates who can contribute to the department’s cultural and intellectual diversity beyond fulfilling the core teaching responsibilities, and encourages candidates to articulate in their application materials the ways in which they can do so. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Acts (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for the position, please call 618-650-2190 or email [log in to unmask]

------- How to Apply--------

Candidates must include in their application:
(1) a cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest and fit for the position
(2) a CV
(3) a teaching portfolio (course syllabi, sample course materials, student evaluations, etc.)
(4) transcripts from the candidate’s graduate degree granting institution and (5) three letters of recommendation. Candidates should send their application materials by email to [log in to unmask]

Any questions about the position or application process should be addressed to Christopher Pearson Department Chair, email: [log in to unmask]   Deadline for full consideration- February 12th, 2021.
http://www.mapforthegap.com/job-listings/full-time-instructor-southern-illinois-university-edwardsville
Alison Reiheld, PhD

Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy (Major and Minor Coordinator/Advisor)
Faculty, Interdisciplinary Program in Women's Studies
College of Arts and Sciences
Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville

Editor, scholarly Blog of the International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics

Pronouns: she/her/hers

My work hours may be different from yours. Please feel free to respond to my e-mails during your work hours, regardless of when I crafted my message.