At the Modern Language Association’s annual convention on January 9, 2021, the Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) announced that Simone de Beauvoir Studies has been awarded the Phoenix Award for Significant Editorial and Design Achievement for 2020.

We are absolutely thrilled to have been recognized in this way at this early stage of the journal’s relaunch. Please find links to the announcement and the Judges’ citation below.

 From the Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ): http://www.celj.org/news

http://www.celj.org/winners

Citation from CELJ Judges:

In its editorial practices as well as its content, the newly relaunched Simone de Beauvoir Studies truly embodies the spirit of the Phoenix Award. Following a five-year hiatus, what had once been a mostly biennial, paper-only journal limited to a single-author scholarly society has been transformed into an open, hybrid publication reflecting the breadth and vigor of new scholarship around Simone de Beauvoir.

Statement from Editor-in-Chief, Jennifer McWeeny:

We are delighted and humbled that Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) has awarded Simone de Beauvoir Studies the Phoenix Award for 2020. That the award was announced on Simone de Beauvoir’s birthday (January 9) makes this honor that much more meaningful to us. We wish to express our gratitude to the judges, officers, and members of CELJ for granting this honor to Simone de Beauvoir Studies.

We are currently witnessing a global renaissance in Beauvoir studies and the Editors of Simone de Beauvoir Studies (SdBS) have focused our efforts on meeting the growing demand for multidisciplinary writing and scholarship that speaks to the most pressing issues of our time: the human condition; social and economic inequality; racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, and ableism; political activism; globalization and international relations; and the need for multiple modes of expression that depict the complexity and diversity of human experience and cultivate positive, liberatory change in the world.

The recent relaunch of Simone de Beauvoir Studies has been a collaborative, international effort facilitated by many hands and voices. Special appreciation goes to members of the SdBS Editorial Team, Claudia Bouliane, Marguerite La Caze, Pauline Henry-Tierney, Francis Walsh, Emma McNicol, and Sophia Millman; the thirty-two members of the SdBS International Editorial Board (listed at www.brill.com/sdbs); all of the authors who have submitted their work to SdBS and all of our anonymous reviewers; Qrescent Mali Mason and Meryl Altman, the President and Secretary-Treasurer of the International Simone de Beauvoir Society, the Society’s Board of Directors and Steering Committee, and the members of the Society; Brill Publishers, including the journal’s Acquisitions Editor, Jennifer Pavelko, Desk Editor Dieuwertje Kooij, Associate Editor Fenja Schulz, and Cover Designer Floor Boissevain at Eijgen Stijl; the Humanities & Arts Department at Worcester Polytechnic Institute; the Alberto Giacometti Foundation and Artist Rights Society for granting us permission to use Giacometti’s sketch for our cover design; and most importantly, our readers.

--

Le comité éditorial des Simone de Beauvoir Studies est ravi d’annoncer que la revue a remporté un prix prestigieux, le « Phoenix Award for Significant Editorial and Design Achievement for 2020 », qui récompense la qualité de sa nouvelle mouture. Nous remercions chaleureusement tou.te.s nos collaborateur.trice.s, dont l’engagement et l’expertise ont assuré que la revue se taille une si belle place dans le paysage éditorial si peu de temps après la reprise de ses activité. Célébrons ensemble cet encouragement à poursuivre la belle aventure de SdBS !

--
Thank you very much