Hi Nik:

I appreciate your comment.

You wrote:

For example, in the graphic included in Michael's comments above, we see the separation of experience and expression. For me, I have a hard time not identifying myself in that sense as the experience, my true self, not Nik. To me Nik is the expression if the experience, in every sense of radical empiricism I feel this is so.

I agree with you!  Please note, in the graphic, there is no separation between experience and expression. For me, the entire point is that experience is the pubic manifestation of experience; experience is the phenomenal aspect of action; they are flip sides of the same process.  This eliminates the dualisms between “mind” and “body”, “inner” and “outer”, “subjective” and “objective”, “mental processes” and “behavior” — all of which are deeply problematic and central to traditional psychological science.

I like the idea that “Nik is the expression of my experience.”

M.

Michael F. Mascolo, Ph.D.
Academic Director, Compass Program
Professor, Department of Psychology
Merrimack College, North Andover, MA 01845
978.837.3503 (office)
978.979.8745 (cell)

Political and Interpersonal Conflict Website: Creating Common Ground
Blog: Values Matter
Journal: Pedagogy and the Human Sciences
Author and Coaching Website: www.michaelmascolo.com
Academia Home Page
Constructivist Meetup Series

Things move, persons act. -- Kenneth Burke
If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well. -- Donald Hebb