https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otoacoustic_emission

Cory

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 6:35 AM Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi TOK Folks,

  The thought of the day is: Is my tinnitus real? How does anyone else but me know?

  I am asking because I am wrapping my chapter up on Mind2: Subjective Conscious Experience and exploring the nature of subjectivity relative to reality. I was playing around with the difference between perceptions and hallucinations and the concept of the ontically real, and then the difference between first person and third person empirical epistemology regarding assertions about the real.

  If science is anchored to a third person empirical epistemology, what does it mean to say my tinnitus is real? If you see me say I have tinnitus and then engage in activity that seems to be directed at me adjusting to it, does that make it more real. For example, when it started to get bad, I got frustrated and then made a shift to interpret the buzzing as “crickets in the night”. In accordance with classic cognitive therapy principles, this helped.

  Finally, how does someone determine if this is a lie?

Thanks for any thoughts people have.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Unified Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:

https://www.unifiedtheoryofknowledge.org/