Hi Jack,

  Good point AND let me elaborate to make the point I was getting at.

  We can tell if a dog’s eyes are closed because we can do analyses of functional awareness and responsivity. Can we tell if a dog has tinnitus? The key philosophical point is the tricky space between the Mind1 “easy problems” of functional awareness and responsivity, which can be framed from the vantage point of 3rd person empiricism, and subjective experience of being and the Mind2 “hard problems” that pertain to the subjective epistemological portal and the gap between 3rd and 1st person perspectives.

  Also, I don’t think it is the case that all or even most cases of tinnitus have a clear external physiological cause at the level of sensory transduction. Some do. I asked my doctor and she said that the most likely cause was “topdown” perceptual filling that is a function of the fact that I have hearing loss that causes the  perceptual mechanisms to compensate for. When I asked her how would she know if someone was making it up, she thought it was a weird question, but and said “why would you be here?”. Great to have a philosophical patient 😊.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of James Lyons-Weiler
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 9:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK Is my tinnitus "real"?

There are different types of tinnitus - in some people, earwax can cause debris or small hairs to lay against the eardrum.

For others, the biological basis of tinnitus is that the hairs in the cochlea are damaged or lie flat.

So, it's a reproducible association.

You might as well ask: Can I really no longer see when my eyes are closed?  How do I know?