Michael,
Great points.

Let’s though reference human behavior that requires an active use of creative activity, not a simple goal of muscle movement.

If I am writing a paper about Sartre’s concept of freedom, I will fail to say anything comprehensible unless I first study Sartre’s concept. After reading what Sartre wrote about his concept of freedom I might be confused by what seems to be innumerable contradictions. So I may turn to reading an interpretation of Sartre’s concept. That may lead to finding more contradictions and to increasing my level of confusion. So I might seek further sources of interpretations. That might also result in no success in comprehending Sartre’s concept of Freedom. So I might read Sartre again, and reread a primary interpretation. And do those activities over and over again for a month. And continuously think about it all in then shower, and while riding my bicycle, and when annoying my friends by constantly discussing my inability to understand his concept or to accept interpretations that do not seem to properly explain it.

And then while driving home from the grocery store I might have an epiphany and it all becomes clear. I then go home and reread Sartre and discover that my new interpretation is entirely consistent with everything he says about his concept of freedom.

I do not argue that free will means we are without influences. We exist in networks of influences and we are able to choose many of our influences and actively and joyously do so without knowing or wanting to know in advance how we might be influenced. We load ourselves with information that we can use for creative efforts. And I claim autonomy in my epiphanies. They are mine. I am the author.

Though BF Skinner claimed we have no free will he also said that our environment makes us who we are, but we can change our environment which can result in changing who we are. So, he contradicted himself and defends the argument for free will. By reading more and more about Sartre’s concept was me changing my environment and I was consciously doing it too change who I was. Following that I had an epiphany that did not come directly from conscious thoughts but from who I had made myself into being. It was not an accident but a directed achievement, yet even if I failed it was still directed autonomous behavior.

So, despite many claims to the contrary, we can self-cause, we can change our environment, we can choose how to change ourselves, we can manipulate our influences, we can claim who we become then express an act of free will that does not even come from immediate conscious awareness. Too much emphasis is put on a requirement of active conscious awareness being necessary for an act to be claimed to be purposeful autonomous and free. My purposeful writing life could not exist if it required constant reflective awareness.

The above also contains my refusal of the could-you-have-done-otherwise argument. No choice exists in a single moment but is a culmination of many choices throughout time, and at the moment of any choice the one chosen is the choice, end of story. It’s nonsense to try to reverse-engineer a choice from it’s moment.

I am hopeful that you will comment on this.
Thank you for your previous note.
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.