Thanks, Chance. Yes, ground of agreement is always good to look for.

For example, do we all agree that everything we have typed on the list can be framed by the domain of “Mind3b”? That is, the domain of overt public justification. That is what it is from the UTOK metapsychology.

(Note, this might sound confusing at first, because the initial reaction to this tends to be: (a) “no, because my mind is private not public!” and (b) “No, there is much more to communication than justification”. I am happy to clarify both points if that would help).

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Chance McDermott
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK Three Meanings of Consciousness

________________________________
[Greetings and welcome, Joan!]

Are we all on the same page about the distinction between experiential consciousness and self-reflective narration?

It seems that Gregg and J. Vervaeke have mapped out the template we are working with physiologically and then specifically how personal ontogeny slots into those templates to create our phenomenological experience and manifestation of human self-reflective consciousness.

For example, while there is indeed monistic one consciousness in the sense that our individual separateness is a cultural distinction, and that individuation itself may be prized in our Western system and not others, we on this list seem to be glossing over particular features that we seem to share as human organisms, such as justification.  So while an octopus or a fungal system may be on some other alien level of communal consciousness, our particular dilemma as humans and solving it for ourselves and perhaps others seems contingent on our ability to recognize these specific mechanisms and negotiate their effects with others.

Are we there?  If we are there, thank you for helping me catch up to the conversation,

+Chance