Dear TOK List,

  Happy Mother’s Day! This post is to you (with a special shout out to Andee, the loving mother of our three children).

  Kacey Wilson and I are writing to propose this as “Women’s Week” on the TOK Society List. The frame is to encourage posts by the many amazing women on this list on areas of current intellectual, wisdom, heart, knowledge paths that are lighting up your life. The idea was sparked by a conversation Kacey and I had about the list being largely populated by male voices and the differences and benefits that would come from more engagement or posts by women.

  On this Mother’s Day, I wanted to take a moment and honor my mother. I asked her to join the list at least for this week. She is an amazing women who received her doctorate in early childhood education, still works as an adjunct professor (now for JMU) supervising new teachers, was nominated for Disney Teacher of the year several years ago, is one of the premier National Board Certified Teachers in the Country. On top of that, she raised four sons and provided an incredibly supportive but also appropriately challenging developmental context for us to reach our potential. She also continues to amaze. See attached for some pictures. Also, just prior to Covid, our family was fortunately able to celebrate her 80th birthday. Each of her sons spoke in her honor. Attached is the speech I gave. Also, here is a link to a letter I wrote to her five years earlier for her 75th.

Thanks, Mom, for all you do.

PS Thanks to Kacey for her insight and initiative in sparking this move.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out the Unified Theory Of Knowledge homepage at:

https://www.unifiedtheoryofknowledge.org/