Good to hear.

As I wrote it, I realized it might be useful to do a blog on it.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Lene Rachel Andersen - Nordic Bildung
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 4:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK Psychology Prof Removed From APA Discussion After Saying There Are Only 2 Genders (*Newsweek*)

Cool! Thank you for clarifying that. :-)

/ Lene

On 21-05-2021 10:44, Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx wrote:

When my cultural anthropologist friend and I dove into this, we realized that “binary” is not the right term.

The sexes are bi-modal. This allows one to see clearly both that yes, there are two primary sexes and yes they are biologically important and different attractor states. However, sex is not exclusively binary in the sense of chess squares being either white or black or a gun firing or not or a flip of a coin. Unlike these single variable either/or examples, sex is made up of many different components, such as genetics, hormones and anatomy. In theory, a single ambiguous case could make an exclusive binary assertion “wrong”. Thus, given that some times coin flips land in cracks, and thus don’t give a clear answer are not binary without exception. I share this because we went round and round on this a bit until I realized that I meant bimodal. Once framed as such, he quickly agreed.

Since everyone knows there are cases where sex is ambiguous, I don’t think anyone thinks sex is binary in the strong sense. Yet, once you allow a bit of grey, which bimodal does, then debates can be appropriately framed.