Hi Micheal, I would say that socio-historical-technical variables are not universal, but the human tendency to react to them is.

Il dom 23 mag 2021, 19:58 Michael Mascolo <[log in to unmask]> ha scritto:
Andrea and All:

Andrea wrote:

If another human generation appeared in 300 hundred years from now, the same exact scientific laws will be discovered, as long as scientific method will be used.

Perhaps!  But does this apply for psychological science?  To the extent that we are defined, in part, by our conceptions of who we are; and to the extent that those conceptions have their origins in cultural-historical-linguistic processes, then this is likely not to be the case.

I genuinely human science, it seems to me, must embrace how we, in part, create ourselves through our immersion in culture.

Who could have predicted that our children would define their identities and emotions through by the ways in which they exchange images meant to be exposed for just a few seconds on little handheld devices with people who are not in the same room during dinner?

M.

Michael F. Mascolo, Ph.D.
Academic Director, Compass Program
Professor, Department of Psychology
Merrimack College, North Andover, MA 01845
978.837.3503 (office)
978.979.8745 (cell)

Bridging Political Divides Website: Creating Common Ground
Blog: Values Matter
Journal: Pedagogy and the Human Sciences
Author and Coaching Website: www.michaelmascolo.com
Academia Home Page
Constructivist Meetup Series

Things move, persons act. -- Kenneth Burke
If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well. -- Donald Hebb