Alex,
  Thanks for the helpful clarification. Maybe we can have another dialogos at some point in the not too distant future and dive into this a bit. I am seeing what you are saying and it is a point about emergence that does get people tripped up, so that is helpful to be aware of. The thing I would like to discuss is whether or not your frame applies equally to what UTOK, via the ToK System and Periodic Table, frame as “within dimension” (e.g., atoms to molecules within Matter) emergence as between dimensions (moving from Matter to Life).

The reason I bring this up is because I think the distinction between the operation and the thing operating might be entangled in the latter case. The between dimensions are complexity building feedback loops, involving variation, selection, and retention. Another way of saying this is that an emergence process emerges and as it generates novel properties, that feeds back on the generation process.

  Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue, and this exchange has helped elucidate some key elements of emergence to be cognizant about.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Cory David Barker
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 7:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Materialism without Reductionism -- and why "mind" is a troublesome concept...

________________________________
@ Alex

You are correct to make a distinction between operation and the thing operating. The words I use are process and architecture.

There is a model called the model of hierarchical complexity. It consists of orders of complexity and transitions between orders (how an order emerges). Sara Nora Ross showed that hierarchically complex operations/transitions/processes of the model of hierarchical complexity are fractal (every order of complexity has the same transition dynamics), but this not not account for material reality.

I have shown that hierarchies of stacking operations are universal processes that hold across scales/building blocks of reality, and we can get super organized about ordering and describing it. The process/operations seem to repeat in the same sequence at each scale in a non-arbitrary way, with some scales having a bigger hierarchical stack than others. At each new scale, the sequence seems to always begin with automation (binary yes-no operations), transduction (coordinated into transductive networks), and concretion operations (networks coordinates states within itself). On a human level with our brains, the hierarchy continues with abstractions (quantifications across states), and then others. Whether non-brain entities can form abstractions depends on how you further define abstraction. But among these processes, they always follow a transitional sequence where entities get related, have some kind of interactive relationship, and form a system. You can compare with dynamic skill theory, systems theory, cybernetics, autopoesis, the list goes on, there is a lot of views all seeing the same thing from different perspectives.

For examples across scales, I will here give two examples between Gregg’s joints of matter and culture. Atoms either do or do not have interactive relationships with particles near them (1, 0). When the binaries are 1’s (they do), they formalize into transducers to exchange energy/information. The equilibrium across the network of their relations establishes a persisting concrete molecular state. The same process also occurs at the joint of culture. Individual people either do or do not have interactive relationships with other people. If they do, then they act as input-throughput-output transducers to carry information between and form a network (e.g. transmission of memes). The orientation between the network creates a persisting concrete cultural state of relationships (where everyone in the culture shares interior states that compliment and bind them together). This transitional operation is the same for all the building blocks between molecules and culture: organic macro-molecules to cell components, cells, tissues, organs, organ systems, whole organism.

Sara and I discussed Wolfram’s theory quite a bit. If you are familiar with Wolfram, you will notice that his model is centered on automation and transduction.

I think you are on the right track with your FreQ notion. I think you are recognizing the transition dynamics between scales. Compare with hierarchical complexity transition dynamics, which is an attempt to articulate the step by step transitions as something becomes more complex (how more complex behaviors emerge). The intersection with your ideas with this model is centered on the relativism (oscillatory) transition through the formation of a higher order synthesis (equilibrium) on p.163. I think the Henriques Equivalency is related.

Commons, M.L., Richards, F.A. (2002). Organizing components into combinations: How stage transition works<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drive.google.com_open-3Fid-3D0B08MvGKqEtbNaXh5b3RQb0J1c1k&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=NgY6bylfXHpOI-7PSK5UX0dpde3QzOn28EST0rXIP_A&s=6SsBWZHTgg9I-qD0LPzqreGxyNPuR7UtAKjqgdnFg1I&e=>. Journal of Adult Development, 9(3).

Ross, S.N. (2008). Fractal transition steps to fractal stages: The dynamics of evolution<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drive.google.com_open-3Fid-3D0B08MvGKqEtbNM1poLUJYSmJZYlk&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=NgY6bylfXHpOI-7PSK5UX0dpde3QzOn28EST0rXIP_A&s=iTVnpNr48yal2fYvXdzRiYn_SZieWV__NwKc7wrr4i8&e=>, II. World Futures, 64(5-7). 361-374.

Have you written anything up regarding FreQ? If so, please link it.

Cory