On Aug 31, 2021, at 4:18 PM, ryanrc111 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dr. Mascolo,

That is a reductionist reasoning that i cannot agree with.

When systems are qualitatively different, they deserve qualitative labels that are different.
 "everything is just ____________" never has worked in the history of science, and I don't think it will start working now.
Biological systems are not merely just physical. Social systems are not merely just biological.
They do have different features, different epistemic concerns, and indeed differing levels of action.
The universe is digital -quantum particles do not continuously effect large scale systems.
 There are clear breaks at different scales, where hardly any activity on scale 1 affects systems on scale 2.
the math of differential equations and complexity supports a digital world of level-based actions and level-based systems.

You might be interested to read the work of Sandra Mitchell , a top philosopher of science, whom I took coursework from at U Pittsburgh. "
IN fact, Sandra is the department chair of the #1 rated philosophy of science dept. in the world, and I learned from her there!
She has presented full theories about the qualitative difference between the "sciences". and they are close to Henriques.

Sandra Mitchell - Wikipedia

There is no possibility of reducing social to biological , and so forth.
Just because there are causal linkages through the material world, does not mean these systems are qualitatively identical in character.
Emergence is very well established, but I do realize there are people who hate it as a concept.
 However, Its far easier to defend the qualitative thesis because it doesn't require a magic bullet theory.
I have yet see a magic bullet theory that accurately reduces one "science" to another. They have all failed.
thus, knowledge still stands as qualitatively different for different systems.

Thanks

Robert Conan Ryan