From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Nicholas Lattanzio
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 7:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Neurologically, what is clinging?

This is a nondual classic. The first Buddha Gautama addressed this and it's the example I have been using lately to give people an understanding of the realm of nondual first person experience.

Now if you're  actually asking what is in the subject line I don't have an exact answer but it would likely have a substantial overlap with the neurological processes underlying rumination (some part of the PFC at least). However, I would like to address the 'clinging conundrum' as I like to call it.

Clinging is the cause of all suffering (suffering does not equal pain). To cling to something is to attempt to hold on to an aspect of a present moment reality such that the aspect loses its separateness and becomes a fixed part of our experience of the present moment as a continuous flow of time. That is impossible, of course, to keep the object of ones desire without extinguishing the desire and treating it as equivalent to the desire (having your cake and eating it too). So okay then just stop doing that, stop clinging,  stop desiring. So you go and try and you'll eventually discover this too is futile, now you're simply desiring not to desire, you've merely taken the same basic problem and turned it into a task of sorts.

So the answer then is that there's nothing you can do. So don't do something and don't not do something either. You are going to desire. So if you don't resist that desire, that feeling of necessity, then you will not suffer, because the you that would suffer is not actually you it's the tension created when you separate yourself from your experience in a way that turns your experience into an object to manipulate. Rather you are the flow of existence itself, a wave of the stream. So just flow with it, as an old Zen koan goes, "there is nothing I dislike."

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Nicholas G. Lattanzio, Psy.D.