Well, a some of the economic theories that have mathematical formalization and that have earned Nobel Prizes for certain people are really not very scientific.  They often start with a very simplistic conception of human nature as being fully rational and self-interested and then derive some sort of large-scale formulas or trends from that premise.  I can deconstruct this genre of economics theory as driven by wishful thinking on the part of those already wealthy and privileged.  This is the sort of thing that has often in the past won Nobel Prizes and it is not very scientific because it does not have conscilience with the adjacent branches of science (psychology, sociology).  Also, some psychological theories do have mathematical formalization, such as Commons’ MHC.  He hasn’t won a Nobel because there isn’t one for psychology.  MHC does seem to have conscilience with neuro-biology and with sociology.  The Nobel Prizes are quite notable and the way they differentiate the different fields and their criteria for awarding prizes has an impact on how people in general see science and how they evaluate scientific legitimacy.  Perhaps the Nobel committee could re-evaluate their system and create a new prize for psychology.

Brandon

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 4:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK Nobels in Medicine/Physiology

Thanks, Robert.

In slight contrast to World Systems 3.0, the UTOK is situated to help people see the twin conceptual problems of (a) the Enlightenment Gap and its inevitable downstream consequence (b) the problem of psychology. This is a discussion of “is,” but not at the level of empirical findings or predictions, but at the level of metaphysics, and our onto-epistemological mapping of ontic and epistemic processes. Of course, UTOK is a naturalistic “Metaphysical-Empirical” System, so we are very much concerned with data we can see. But I have found that the clearest line of attack is in our propositional organization (I lean slightly more toward rationalism than empiricism by nature).

Academic/scientific psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes, such that “behavior” is the thing that is scientifically accessible, and mental processes are the inferred mental causes of observable activity. This epistemological-methodological framing of psychology makes it conceptually “soft”. Although I have not studied the justification systems that gave rise to the Nobel Prizes in science, I strongly suspect that the reason there is no Nobel in psychology is directly linked to this issue. Interestingly, Economics did achieve some success in mathematical formalization, which is likely why a prize was developed in that category.