My department is hiring, would you please circulate the job ad (below)?
Thank you,
saray
Saray Ayala-López
Pronouns: They, Them, Theirs
Assistant Professor
Philosophy Department
California State University, Sacramento

Dear Colleagues:

The Philosophy Department at California State University, Sacramento, recently advertised a new job for Assistant Professor with AOS in History of Philosophy or Metaphysics (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__philjobs.org_job_show_18929&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=ao__0qo_HBDnk_9ZAaLoS_uhw_h60Sp1P4A-FYj1VSo&s=dfnaX1MqToqHgs1qPI_txpUuetbRlOYhY2GxXZY_-0I&e= ). We are reaching out to you, as officers of APA committees or other organizations representing underrepresented groups in philosophy, to ask if you would share our ad with your group or networks.
As mentioned in our job ad, Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the country and CSU Sacramento reflects this diversity. As mentioned in our job ad, CSU Sacramento is a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csus.edu_student-2Daffairs_centers-2Dprograms_hispanic-2Dserving-2Dinstitution_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=ao__0qo_HBDnk_9ZAaLoS_uhw_h60Sp1P4A-FYj1VSo&s=EstqOA-4uP1gogd_y4r9pp2rUS0SMH0mNMeDVVzAsWM&e= > and Asian-American Native American Pacific Islander Serving institution<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csus.edu_student-2Daffairs_centers-2Dprograms_asian-2Damerican-2Dnative-2Damerican-2Dpacific-2Dislander-2Dserving-2Dinstitution_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=ao__0qo_HBDnk_9ZAaLoS_uhw_h60Sp1P4A-FYj1VSo&s=1vS2qSBa5L6bDrgm8kI5hjyCqBE6GHoW0WHYZuRgqkI&e= >. More than half of our students are students of color and one third of our students are first in their families to go to college<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csus.edu_student-2Daffairs_centers-2Dprograms_first-2Dgeneration-2Dstudents_first-2Dgeneration-2Dinstitute.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=ao__0qo_HBDnk_9ZAaLoS_uhw_h60Sp1P4A-FYj1VSo&s=MhVJnBMOuo8f10VwKA5sYyAp79WT0e_hZx1UjHJhW68&e= >. CSU Sacramento's commitment to serving this diverse population of students is maybe best demonstrated through its new antiracism and inclusion campus plan<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csus.edu_diversity-2Dinclusion_-5Finternal_-5Fdocuments_antiracism-5F-5Finclusive-5Fcampus-5Fplan-5Fada-5Fcompliant-5F-2D20210630-5Ffinal.pdf&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=ao__0qo_HBDnk_9ZAaLoS_uhw_h60Sp1P4A-FYj1VSo&s=uoLQhNQx_IsvuX7PKCy_IbV2pa8-ypAZ5pNEELSfB1Y&e= >.
The Department of Philosophy at CSU Sacramento shares this institutional commitment to diversity and is keenly interested in diversifying this year's applicant pool. Each year our search committee is tasked with assessing each applicant’s qualifications with regard to certain diversity criteria. Applicants are asked to describe their demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity in their teaching, research and service. While some applicants may find this requirement burdensome, we hope that it would give others an opportunity to highlight their own experiences in serving diverse student populations.
We recognize that our department faces challenges shared with other teaching-focused institutions in hiring and retaining faculty from underrepresented groups because of our relatively heavy teaching loads. It may be helpful for prospective applicants to know that CSU Sacramento has offered (and is likely to continue to offer) new faculty a reduced teaching load of three courses per semester for the first two years. Our college and university supports its junior faculty in this and many other ways as they pursue their teaching and research goals.
We would greatly appreciate your help in sharing our job ad with your group and professional networks especially with those who would be able to stand out in a diversity statement. If you have any questions about our search, feel free to reply to this email or contact us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
Yours truly,
Chong Choe-Smith