Hello everyone, I sent a message to this list a few days ago about how we
might create a table comparing the different approaches to addressing the
meta-crisis.  I figure that a lot of people and organizations agree that
there are these several crises that are interdependent and interrelated
(ecological, political, socio-cultural, economic, educational, meaning,
etc.) but there are divergent opinions about what to do.  I still haven't
heard anyone clearly define this "dark renaissance" notion, but I took a
stab at defining it here based on what I remember Bard saying a few months
ago.  I'm intending this to be a conversation starter.  I figure several of
you guys could improve upon what I have here.  Some of this might even be
just plainly wrong.  Let me know what you think:

Approach to Addressing the Meta-Crisis

Proponents

Notes

Rational Optimistic Enlightenment

We need a more full embrace and more widespread adoption throughout the
world of what already has been shown to work, which are the values and
psycho-technologies of the Age of Enlightenment, such as rationality,
science, progress, skepticism, liberty, fraternity, equality, and progress
and getting away from ignorance, dogmatism, authority, tradition,
superstition, and prejudice.  Postmodernism and critical theory have little
or nothing of value to offer and are only diversions and roadblocks.

Steven Pinker

This is probably just a newer version of Enlightenment 1.0, so we might call
it Enlightenment 1.5 or something

Enlightenment 2.0

We need to address the "Enlightenment Gap", which the first enlightenment
never solved and which Enlightenment 1.5 doesn't solve either.  This
involves embracing enlightenment rationalism and postmodern critique, coming
up with a coherent naturalistic ontology and more clear definitions for
scientific terms that are taken for granted. This also involves new
paradigms and new methodologies that embrace inner development integrated
with science.

Gregg Henriques

Conscious Evolution

We can become mindful of the dynamics of the fundamental force of evolution
and the relation to consciousness and this will awaken our collective
capacity to overcome our challenges and create a better future.  In
socio-political terms, this hasn't been fully developed, despite Wilber
claiming to have a "theory of everything" 20 years ago, since some of this
is the subject of his forthcoming 3rd book in the Kosmos Trilogy.

Ken Wilber

Dark Renaissance

Things will go dark almost inevitably, meaning that society will break down
and a new dark age will result.  But some of us will be able to create new
aesthetic movements to get things through in order to plant the seeds for an
eventual rebirth, and some people are already working on this.

Alexander Bard

Techno-Optimistic

Technological advancements will save humanity and will save our planet.
Next-generation innovations will heroically avert any and all calamities.
Humanity's best days are ahead because of the power of technology and
innovation.

Elon Musk

Meta-Sensemaking

We really need to greatly improve our sensemaking amid the panoptic
bombardment of information and ever-shifting technology.

Mark Stahlman via Marshall McLuhan

Ecology of Mind

We can use our understanding of ecology in conjunction with warm data and
the nuances and complexities of various aspects of life to help us
intuitively make better choices.

Nora Bateson

Revolutionary Anti-Capitalistic

We need to overthrow the capitalist bourgeoisie before they destroy the
world with their unquenchable greed.

Doctrinaire Marxists

Holistic Back-to-Nature

We need to re-discover our indigenous roots and live in harmony with nature,
which will involve much less consumption and a dramatic decrease in
industrialization.

Doomer Defeatist

There is no way to head off disaster so the best you can do is to save
yourself and your family and maybe the members of the ethnic group that you
identify with.

Brandon Norgaard

Founder, The Enlightened Worldview Project