I joined this list almost exactly a year ago, and I don’t recall any conversation streams where Cadell was involved.  I did watch the videos with him and Gregg shortly after they were published last year.  I’m not a member of IDW because I get too much email already and I’m already pretty sure I don’t agree with the Bard’s Dark Renaissance vision and his style of philosophy doesn’t vibe with me very much.  Sometimes I hear him on podcasts or videos and that’s enough Bard for me.  When I met him in Berlin he did offer to sign me up for his list but I declined.

This makes me remember something from a few weeks ago when I participated in a Stoa session with someone (I can’t remember his name now) who is one of the main successors to Marshall McLuhan.  If I recall, he started by saying that there are a handful of somewhat distinct approaches to addressing the meta-crisis, and his McLuhanist vision is one of them.  The others include Dark Renaissance (Bard, Cadell Last), Enlightenment 2.0 (probably including UTOK and also Hanzi, among others), Batesonian (holistic ecology, led by Nora), Wilberian (spiritual integral and still being worked out with his 3rd Kosmos book in progress), and perhaps others.  I put a question in the chat asking if he could summarize his approach to addressing the meta-crisis vs. the others, but there wasn’t time to get to my question.   Could anyone provide such a summary of these?  Maybe we could make a table (something I love doing) and post it to someone’s Medium or Substack.

Brandon

From: theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 3:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK An interesting article.

Gien,

  Good question. I don’t have a simple answer.  Perhaps the best way to frame it is to share that it looks like he will team up with Alexander Bard, and be part of that stream which can be framed as working to energize a new Dark Renaissance.  The UTOK is much more Enlightenment 2.0. Another way of possibly framing the difference is that I am more of a psychological scientist and he more a Freudian-Hegelian philosopher.  All that said, I saw and continue to see both of our work efforts as part of a larger move toward a coherent integrated pluralism.

Best,

Sent from my iPad