I guess my frustration tends to be with the lack of standardization or the
preservation of standardized practices as they are integrated into clinical
practice. This has led to the issue of "McMindfulness" where a few
meditative principles are (seemingly) arbitrarily applied to an existing
treatment but we then all have different definitions for what actually is
the same thing, as compared to varied definitions and stages for
reaching/experiencing certain phenomenological qualities or gradations of
awareness and sense of connectedness, etc.

For example, I've been doing daily shamatha for probably 5 or 6 years now
and have never attained any mystical experiences from it, I had
reality-bending experiences practicing self-abidance and self-inquiry the
first times I truly effectively practiced them. As you're saying TR, this
is a developmental process, but even between practices. Shamatha isn't for
awakening per say, it's a very basic, orienting, and purely attentional in
practice, so it's no surprise that after years of practice (and yes you
have to get better at these basics too) I wasn't having a profound
experience, but I was calmer and more peaceful. Self-inquiry blew the door
that is my ego off its hinges. Totally destroyed me, never had a chance.

As a clinician, I probably want my clients to have a profound experience,
ultimately we can say with a degree of objectivity that self-actualizing
would be in the best interest of most individuals. I would never have one
of my clients begin with self-inquiry, why? BEcause they haven't yet
learned how to pay attention. They may understand the logic of thought
watching and non-identification, but that is still just an illusory
cognition if they can't actually watch their thoughts or de-identify. That
doesn't even bring into account that for some a highly dissociative
meditation like self-inquiry could bring on purely dysfunctional psychotic
experiences, I will state that confidently, whereas for others simply
attending to their breath  or watching their thoughts is so
anxiety-provoking or antagonizing that they become dysregulated because
they weren't even ready for that yet. Tonglen is another example where the
foolish clinician might have a client take in the suffering of others and
give out compassion and love, thinking they're simply doing LMK, but could
easily give that instruction to the narcissistic or borderline client who
will use that practice to make themselves a martyr and feed their own ego
in a dysfunctional way, not to mention the severely depressed client that
won't feel the positive feelings and will ruminate on taking in the
negatives.

These are all things specific to practices that are increasingly
commonplace in any mindfulness-based clinician's repertoire, which in and
of itself is a good thing, the problem is that they don't have the practice
or the experiential understanding to be able to combine the elements of
meditative practice and therapeutic intervention in a meaningful way that
will progress the client along their individual line of development. I have
seen this play out too many times and result in reinforcement of the idea
that the underlying theory is flawed because someone got triggered during a
mindfulness exercise or their anxiety worsened when they focused on their
breath because they could hear their heartbeat and had a panic attack or
something the clinician should have accounted for and would have if they
knew what they were doing. Just like any other intervention, meditation and
mindfulness can do as much harm as they can good depending on how they're
done. It's another pigeonholing mistake that psychology tends to make a
lot.

Regards,

Nicholas G. Lattanzio, Psy.D.