Hi Alex,
Thank you for the inspiring essay.

This: "Without resistance, power has no medium to express itself, and is thus mere potentialenergy. Power requires the presence of an other against which to determine itself…” is very Sartrian. He states in Being and Nothingness, “Without resistance there is no freedom." Freedom requires something to push up against; it requires there to be something to be free of. And, for Satre, freedom isn’t something we posses, its something we do.

I found your concept of “zoned” highly intriguing, but I don’t see it the same way you do. I can accept that: "This is the intuitive inertia of “the zone”, in which freed will itself becomes inertial. This absence of deliberation is the holy grail of performance enhancement.” But I don’t see that state as choiceness, or as you say, an absence of deliberation.

As you agree, we intentionally make great efforts to bring ourselves to achieve the “zoned” point of behavior. But my thought is that once we are in that zone we are very actively making choices, just not being reflective about the choices we are making. But we arrived there with dedicated intention and at great cost. It is all of the research I have done that is within me for use while I am writing. It is the mastery of music and the instrument that provides the jazz player with a breadth of choices while improvising, it is the practiced athleticism that dancers use to complete their movements. For every highly-trained in-the-zone performer it is the years of practice, training, dedication, choices, that leads to intended good inertia.

Two points; I think we get dragged into seeing the expression of free behavior in a false light because of those who ague against agent autonomy with straw-man arguments.  They like to argue, "could you have done otherwise,” without ever providing a clear and reasonable definition of what choosing is. It’s only in the simplest of behaviors that our choices are made at a single instant of doing. Our complicated behaviors are made up from layers of choices that took days, months, years to arrive at. They are made up of dense histories of prior choices, all made with the intent to change who we are so that we can eventually make intended good inertia choices without reflection. So, the choices made by someone in the zone aren’t simply made while engaged in our intended good inertia choices, they are made up of years of struggle to get to that point. What is missing from "could you have done otherwise,” is otherwise from when? From just now? Likely not, but that means nothing. From years ago when we began the journeys that brought us to this point, like so. No one can prove otherwise.

My second point is, much too much is made of the requirement that a free choice must be a consciously reflective choice. As you point out, when we are purposely not conscious of our choices is when we are engaged in our best intended good inertia choices (okay, I added “ choices” to your claim).  Or, tied to what I said above, we were consciously reflective at many points during the long complex histories within those intended good inertia choices.

Again, I found great value in how you couched this problem, I just see it from another angle.
Thank you kindly,
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.